Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Nice Try. but, NO! I'm Not flattered. I'M ANNOYED!

My 13yo DD has a HS (freshmen welcoming) dance tomorrow night.

The school has strict rules that students MUST BE walked into the school by an accompanying parent & the parent MUST AGAIN enter the school @ 10pm promptly to pick them up from the dance.

Tonight they began selling tickets for the dance, along with the giving a "parent pass" to each set of parents in order to enter the building with their child. The pass also allows us a 15 min access to the gym (where the dance is) to take photos & such & to arrive 15 mins early (when the dance is finished) to take more photos & observe.

Anyways, DD & I entered the HS & walked up to the table where tickets were being sold. I purchased her ticket & asked for the parent passes. The crabby lady & the student who were selling tickets rolled their eyes at me & said that ONLY PARENTS can pick up the parent passes... "Not older siblings, friends, etc...". I politely smiled & explained that I AM her mother.

The crabby lady, whom I later found out was the school health teacher, got up from her chair, ignored me completely, rolled her eyes, & told the student "tell them to wait right here" (with an attitude). O.o

So, we waited..... I had no idea what was going on.

About 2 minutes later, crabby lady, the principal, & the on-sight security guard show up. All 3 begin to lecture me about how it is inappropriate to "pose" as a HS student's mother & that whatever I'm "up-to" isn't appreciated by the REAL parents whom don't want college kids sneaking into their kid's dance.... O.o

ERM.... No.

I was practically speechless, until my DD interrupted & said: "No, really... This is my mom."

The principal stepped forward & attempted to grab her student ticket out of her hand.....

OH HELL NO!

I grabbed her arm & we stepped back. I told them we were going to go out to my car where my driver's license was. The principal asked DD to leave her (already paid for) ticket with him. :/

FINE! DD handed it over.

DD was so furious on our walk to the car that she told me she didn't want to go to the dance.

UMmmm. NO! I paid for a dress. SHE'S GOING! I'm not gonna let some over-zealous HS employees ruin a night that she has been looking forward to for the past 3 months!!!

I return to the awaiting 3 staff members, who seemed super surprised to see me walk back through those damn doors. I marched up to them & handed them my drivers license. They were already (at that point) thumbing through the incoming student parent/name/address/phone number list that was faxed over from the surrounding grade schools......

The principal found DD's name, ran his finger across MY NAME (as her parent) held up my driver's license with his other hand.... Saw my name....

O.O <---- looked like THIS...

Checked my b-day on my license (I guess just to be sure I was old enough?) :/

Handed back my license.... Handed DD her ticket... Handed me the "parent pass".... & walked away. DIDN'T SAY ONE DAMN WORD!

The health teacher sat back down in her chair & miraculously switched from crabby ass lady to a giggling teenager. :/ She turns to me, gives a half-ass apology.... And says: "Hey, you should be flattered."

-_- no. I'm not.

I THEN point out to her that it would be SO MUCH EASIER for a parent to buy the parent pass & HAND IT to their older child, whom THEN "sneaks" into the dance. DERP! Why would an older child walk into the school in daylight & pose as a freekin parent? *facepalm*

I then asked if I was going to be having this same exact problem when I tried entering the building for DD's dance tomorrow night. O.o

The health teacher assured me that SHE would be handling the people @ the front door & that she would remember me & not hassle me.

Mmhhhmmm..... We'll see. :/

Needless to say: DD is still looking forward to the dance, but she sure has one VERY ANNOYED mother ATM. -_-

While I appreciate their strict rules to protect our children, they sure could have handled it more politely. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Replies (171-177):
OompaLover6969
by on May. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM
*sigh* will-do buddy. Thanks for the advice. O.o

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL ok grown ass woman.  Try carrying your i.d. with you so you can prove your grown assness right away.lol

Quoting OompaLover6969:

Nah. Your assumptions about the situation prove my point. ;)

As a grown ass woman, I deserve the same respect that all adults receive when they step foot into a school.

It's much less about me having been a teen mom, & more-so that I don't even look 30 years old. So, you can let go of the "teen mom" topic, as if it somehow describes me & who I am. That one thing is very far from defining who I am.

Clearly, my DH responded about "finding a different school" in annoyance that his wife was disrespected. We're over it. Shit happens. My DD will be attending that school in the fall.

Quoting Anonymous:

Respect, my dear must also be earned.  You can't expect rude people to all of a sudden bend over backwards and apologize because you proved you were her mother.  That's where the entitelment comes in.  Oh and your husbands reaction of find another school kinda drives my point home.  So what if they were rude to you?  I assume you got your guard up right away because you have something to prove and set the tone for the whole scenario.  

Quoting OompaLover6969:

LOL @ this reply! Entitled? Why? Because I demand respect? Pfft. Excuse ME for being an adult about the situation. :/

Entitled would emply that I expect things to be handed to me WITHOUT work on my part.... This couldn't be FURTHER from the reality of the situation. I give respect, thus I expect it in return.

And yes, I'm "one of THOSE teen moms". Though, I got pregnant at a time BEFORE teen pregnancy became contagious *sarcasm*. 14 years later, I'm happily married to the father of my first child (now, father of all 3). We will be celebrating our 12yr wedding anniversary this sunday. I've never once been on PA. Have my HS diploma. Have a respectable career & education, and take pride in the HARD WORK that I put into school, parenting, my marriage, and every single other thing I've managed to obtain throughout the years.

^if THIS is what you mean by entitled, than my dear, I believe you are VERY confused about what that word means. :/

YOUR way of thinking is exactly what sets young women (& men) up for failure. I'm 30 years old & have strived endlessly to not be a statistic & to gain a fair ounce of respect from others, not DESPITE the fact that I was a teen mom, but BECAUSE I put in the hard work to EARN that respect.

Do yourself a favor & stop labelling people & clumping them into a "general statistic". You'll find that when you treat people as the individuals that they are, in the unique situations that each person faces, YOU YOURSELF will receive that same level of respect & grace in return.

Have a nice day. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL you teen moms always feel so entitled!  Cracks me up.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksueditz
by on May. 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Quoting OompaLover6969:

I figure I'll just let it slide for now. Being nasty w/ the staff of the school she will attend for the next 4 years won't be beneficial. Kwim? :/

Quoting ksueditz:

i would tell the principal i expect an apology for the way things were handled. mistakes happen, but what you do after is very telling. 

unfortunately, yes, i know what you mean. i hope your daughter has a better experience the next 4 years. :)
mommy74146
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:44 PM
So, let me get this straight.... You're being called 'entitled' because you expect an apology after being called a liar? Lmao. Wow. I have never read such bullshit in my life.

Quoting OompaLover6969:

*sigh* will-do buddy. Thanks for the advice. O.o

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL ok grown ass woman.  Try carrying your i.d. with you so you can prove your grown assness right away.lol

Quoting OompaLover6969:

Nah. Your assumptions about the situation prove my point. ;)

As a grown ass woman, I deserve the same respect that all adults receive when they step foot into a school.

It's much less about me having been a teen mom, & more-so that I don't even look 30 years old. So, you can let go of the "teen mom" topic, as if it somehow describes me & who I am. That one thing is very far from defining who I am.

Clearly, my DH responded about "finding a different school" in annoyance that his wife was disrespected. We're over it. Shit happens. My DD will be attending that school in the fall.

Quoting Anonymous:

Respect, my dear must also be earned.  You can't expect rude people to all of a sudden bend over backwards and apologize because you proved you were her mother.  That's where the entitelment comes in.  Oh and your husbands reaction of find another school kinda drives my point home.  So what if they were rude to you?  I assume you got your guard up right away because you have something to prove and set the tone for the whole scenario.  

Quoting OompaLover6969:

LOL @ this reply! Entitled? Why? Because I demand respect? Pfft. Excuse ME for being an adult about the situation. :/

Entitled would emply that I expect things to be handed to me WITHOUT work on my part.... This couldn't be FURTHER from the reality of the situation. I give respect, thus I expect it in return.

And yes, I'm "one of THOSE teen moms". Though, I got pregnant at a time BEFORE teen pregnancy became contagious *sarcasm*. 14 years later, I'm happily married to the father of my first child (now, father of all 3). We will be celebrating our 12yr wedding anniversary this sunday. I've never once been on PA. Have my HS diploma. Have a respectable career & education, and take pride in the HARD WORK that I put into school, parenting, my marriage, and every single other thing I've managed to obtain throughout the years.

^if THIS is what you mean by entitled, than my dear, I believe you are VERY confused about what that word means. :/

YOUR way of thinking is exactly what sets young women (& men) up for failure. I'm 30 years old & have strived endlessly to not be a statistic & to gain a fair ounce of respect from others, not DESPITE the fact that I was a teen mom, but BECAUSE I put in the hard work to EARN that respect.

Do yourself a favor & stop labelling people & clumping them into a "general statistic". You'll find that when you treat people as the individuals that they are, in the unique situations that each person faces, YOU YOURSELF will receive that same level of respect & grace in return.

Have a nice day. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL you teen moms always feel so entitled!  Cracks me up.  

Meghan6391
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM

my momma is 48 and looks like her mid 30s lol. I am 22 and look about that age maybe a little younger.. I just look at people like they are crazy. 

Quoting OompaLover6969:

Oh gosh. LOL! My mom always looked super young for her age too. My sis took after my dad's side, so she aged appropriately. People used to think my mom was her sister. My sis HATED it. My DD hates it too. LOL!

With make-up on, I just look like another teen who's trying to pull off a more mature look. :/ My DD with make-up looks like she's in her 20's. O.o. I know i'm gonna be beating boys off with a stick once she's in HS. -_- yikes!

Quoting Meghan6391:

I've been asked if my mom is my sister.. i look lost on if i really look old lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:08 AM

bump

theresa13183
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:12 AM

i would be furious and would not have let the principal walk away that easy

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM
really?

Quoting Anonymous:

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN