Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what is so hard about this???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
YOU made the mess, now YOU can clean it up! Am I being mean with this or am I wrong with this 'rule'? My mother seems to think that I'm "just being mean" and "why can't you just clean it yourself" instead of making my almost 7 year old clean up his own damn messes. It's not like I'm whooping him for making the mess, I just expect him to clean it up! You spill water? Clean it up! Of course if glass breaks he knows to stand still and I will come clean it so he doesn't get hurt. If you drop your plate and food goes all over the place, CLEAN IT UP! Why is this such a hard concept and why on earth does this make me 'mean'? Ugh. I don't yell or throw a hissy when he makes a mess. I don't throw things or call him a dumbass, like what they did to me when I was little, I just say 'its ok just clean it'. I don't get it!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on May. 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

While I also tell my kids to clean up messes they make..I do help them. I'm not one to just stand there and watch them. 

tapies2324
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Right on!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Oh its rare that he has to do it on his ow. If I'm busy with the baby then hell have to be on his own with the mess til I'm done but aside from that he's always got help. It just baffles me how my mother can call me mean over this. And it really baffles me why the people in this house have such a hard time grasping this concept. Not only my 6 year old but my husband too. It's like I walk around in a chamber maids uniform. Well I've got news for em. I'm way far away from being anyone's maid!

Quoting christina0607:

While I also tell my kids to clean up messes they make..I do help them. I'm not one to just stand there and watch them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I do the same, my kids tend to think im mean as heck for it, lol! hey i have to clean my messes, you clean yours! of course I always help so its done right but sheesh! My youngest stepson (me and dh raise) actually "ran away" cause i was going to make him clean the dog poop he tracked inside, knowing full well he was to take his shoes off at the door! he got mad and took off i had to have the cops get him because i was without a vehicle! scary, but when he got home, guess what he did? cleaned the poop up! lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Lol. Mean mommy! I totally don't see how its mean! I help him clean it. I don't yell, don't go nutty about it, but I expect that he not treat me as if I'm only here to clean up after his messy little ass. Lol. That dog poop would have been all on him tho. I don't do dog poop. I don't go near that stuff. Knowing me I would have been hidden away in another room til the smell was gone! Lol. But its not as if I just one day decides to make em all clean up after themselves. This isn't new! Gah!

Quoting Anonymous:

I do the same, my kids tend to think im mean as heck for it, lol! hey i have to clean my messes, you clean yours! of course I always help so its done right but sheesh! My youngest stepson (me and dh raise) actually "ran away" cause i was going to make him clean the dog poop he tracked inside, knowing full well he was to take his shoes off at the door! he got mad and took off i had to have the cops get him because i was without a vehicle! scary, but when he got home, guess what he did? cleaned the poop up! lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM
exactly! and my kids have been taught from a young age to do these things, shoot they use to enjoy it when they were little! now its like pulling teeth! lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. Mean mommy! I totally don't see how its mean! I help him clean it. I don't yell, don't go nutty about it, but I expect that he not treat me as if I'm only here to clean up after his messy little ass. Lol. That dog poop would have been all on him tho. I don't do dog poop. I don't go near that stuff. Knowing me I would have been hidden away in another room til the smell was gone! Lol. But its not as if I just one day decides to make em all clean up after themselves. This isn't new! Gah!

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Mine too. Hell my 16 month old 'helps' clean and she thinks its the greatest damn thing EVER! My 6yo was like this. Til last year then he started watching daddy closer and the it all shattered. Now its like I'm chasing him with a wooden paddle or something! It's like, come on kid, all you have to do is drop a towel on it and ta-da, done! But it turns in to a screaming battle. Why?!? Then my mom jumps on the penny train throwing her 2 cents in saying how mean it is so I'm fighting a losing battle. Smh.

Quoting Anonymous:

exactly! and my kids have been taught from a young age to do these things, shoot they use to enjoy it when they were little! now its like pulling teeth! lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

BAMFSFW
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I totally agree! No use crying (or getting mad) over spilled milk, but damn straight you clean your own mess in this house. Grandparents can be hyper sensitive to anyone, including mom & dad, being "mean" to their grandbabies, it's totally normal & to be expected. Just stay calm & remind her yet again this is the rule in your house. If she keeps harping on it, tell her the conversation is over. You don't have to argue & eventually you'll learn not to let it bother you. You make the rules, end of story. Grandmas can bend them at their own house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I think it gets to me more because we are staying with my parents until schools out. It's only 4 weeks of hearing it but gosh I could use someone to stand behind me instead of making it harder. My dad is FINALLY starting to see the monster they have created in that kid, but my mom not so much. She's got that "I'm granny I can do what I want" attitude and it drives me up the wall! It's ok when he's just visiting on weekends or whatever but when its constant, undermining me, letting him hear her say that I'm being mean so he will say it next time, just makes things so much harder on me. It's ridiculous.

Quoting BAMFSFW:

I totally agree! No use crying (or getting mad) over spilled milk, but damn straight you clean your own mess in this house. Grandparents can be hyper sensitive to anyone, including mom & dad, being "mean" to their grandbabies, it's totally normal & to be expected. Just stay calm & remind her yet again this is the rule in your house. If she keeps harping on it, tell her the conversation is over. You don't have to argue & eventually you'll learn not to let it bother you. You make the rules, end of story. Grandmas can bend them at their own house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM
And I could understand it if I was getting mad, yelling, throwing a fit, tossing Shit around, whatever, when he spills thing. When he makes a mess, but I don't. When I was a kid, I'd get beat about the head for accidentally spilling a few DROPS of water. Is die before I turned to that. Most of the time I'm LAUGHING while helping him clean the mess. How is this mean?

Quoting BAMFSFW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)