Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me grow some balls! (Vent)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

A few months ago I offered to "help out" a friend of a friend with childcare from time to time.  I thought they were in a bind and needed someone while they found a full time sitter.  I sent them a message saying let me know if you need someone to help out.  What I didn't realize at the time was they lived 40 mins away from me. 

I would consider these people to be fairly wealthy.  They have a nice house, kids have EVERY TOY under the sun.  Every time I'm at the house they bring home take out, the fridge is overflowing with leftovers from restaurants they never finished.  One of the kids has so-called special needs and they get special funding to supplement my pay.  Basically they only have to pay me $3/hr and the county pays the rest. 

The problem is they're not paying me!  They are submitting my hours and I'm waiting 3-4 weeks to get paid for the days I work.  They're being slick and trying to bill extra hours so I get paid the full amount and they don't have to pay anything.  But at this point they're behind about $200.  After the last check came I calculated they owed me about $135.  Dad sent me an email saying, "According to my math it looks like we owe you about $85.  Your next check should be for $81..."  Um, his calculations and mine are WAY off. 

I've always been a pushover.  I need someone to script out what I can say to these people.  I've thought about lying and telling them I found another job, but I'm FB friends with the mom and we share mutual friends.  I'm sure they'll figure out I'm lying.  I feel like I shouldn't make the money an issue because I offered to "help out."  I had no idea it would turn into this mess.  I also don't want to leave them high and dry with no sitter, but I'm sick of making the drive for FREE.  Ugh.  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommymeade
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

You tell them exactly how you feel

that you are being taken advantage of and that you want them to pay you what they owe you.

Do you have a record of the hours your worked.  You can report them. 

0Kit0
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Do something like a time sheet all sign off on. Tell them so you can keep track of your time or for tax reasons. Everyone needs to be on the same page. It's business nothing personal. If they don't want to, quit. Say your family and home is suffering or that you need something more solid and someone's screwing the system to not pay you is not it.
0Kit0
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM
And idk but it sounds like you can get in trouble for taking pay for hours you didn't work.
metalmomma86
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell them the truth. That they are taking advantage of you. AND add that the 40 min commute each way is starting to get to you and they have 2 weeks to find someone else. Then when that 2 weeks is up. Stop going.. let them deal with it. If they are high and dry then, that's their fault not yours. Don't feel bad.
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Exactly this.

Quoting metalmomma86:

Tell them the truth. That they are taking advantage of you. AND add that the 40 min commute each way is starting to get to you and they have 2 weeks to find someone else. Then when that 2 weeks is up. Stop going.. let them deal with it. If they are high and dry then, that's their fault not yours. Don't feel bad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I know!  I didn't realize that's what he was trying to do in the beginning.  I was wondering why he was wating for the checks to come in and not just paying me the THREE FRIGGIN DOLLARS!!  an hour they were responsible for.  After the conversation about him only owing me $85 I realized what he meant.  I'm pissed.  And I'm pissed that I have no spine.  Dh is really mad at me, I think.  He's trying to bite his tongue about it, but I can tell he's not happy. 

Quoting 0Kit0:

And idk but it sounds like you can get in trouble for taking pay for hours you didn't work.

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Tell them they need to either pay you right or find some one else to watch the kids.

KatyTxMamma
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

When you work for yourself, you should always keep good records.  When you work for friends, you should always keep impeccable records.  You should be logging what time you leave your house to get the kids, and what time you pull into your driveway.  You should do this weekly, then submit the hours weekly to your friends and whatever state agency you submit them to.  You should be sending them monthly invoices showing their payments, and any outstanding balances.  If you do those things from here on out, you should have not a problem.

With regard to the instant problem, you should send him an email of your calculations showing what you feel you are owed and question as to how he came up with the lower number.  When dealing with money, treat it as a business.  Have no conversations on the phone or via text, use letters and emails to have paper documentation of your communications.

0Kit0
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Well update us on how it turns out.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know!  I didn't realize that's what he was trying to do in the beginning.  I was wondering why he was wating for the checks to come in and not just paying me the THREE FRIGGIN DOLLARS!!  an hour they were responsible for.  After the conversation about him only owing me $85 I realized what he meant.  I'm pissed.  And I'm pissed that I have no spine.  Dh is really mad at me, I think.  He's trying to bite his tongue about it, but I can tell he's not happy. 

Quoting 0Kit0:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN