Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FAMILY cookout NEIGHBORHOOD kids asking for food HELP!!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Ok so my family (Me my DH my DD7and my DS 20months) we cook out alot during the summer (maybe twice a month) We've lived in this apartment for about 3 years. And I love it thrres an awesome park about a block away. It has a big park and a little one which has picnic tables a bathroom. Well anyway we haven't had this problem before with cooking out beause my daughter doesn't play with to many kids in this area. But she recently started playing with a little girl that lives in the same building as us. So last weekend when we were getting ready to start cooking she invited the little girl to make S'mores with us AFTER we ate. So the next thing I know there was 6-7 other little kids sitting around us asking for food asking OVER AND OVER when we were going to make S'mores and I dident even know these kids the little girl must of went around inviting all these kids. I dident want to be mean but we only brought food for us so these kids were sitting around us eating chips and drinking our pop I gave them and idk why but these two moms must of felt offended and came sat close to us with dairyqueen food for there 3 kids and they had an attitude towards me (WTF is wrong with people I dident even know them or there kids) Well after that I had a headache I was annoyed and there kids STILL kept coming to our 2 tables taking pop ketchup chips. So I had to go back to the store to buy more S'more stuff because all these kids were just sitting around waiting. Well anyways this Sunday I've invited some family over to have a cookout so we could see some family I've had this planned for 2 weeks and idk what to do!!! EVERYTIME I SEE ANY OF THESE KIDS THEY KEEP ASKING OVER AND OVER WHEN THE NEXT TIME I'M GOING TO MAKE S'MORES AND IT'S ANNOYING IT'S NOT LIKE WE ARE RICH WHAT CAN I DO?????      
Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Replies (251-253):
finnbar
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM
What? Common areas are for all residents to use. I.e. she cannot tell these kids they cannot be in the area. It does NOT mean you HAVE to share your private property you bring with you.
Good gravy.

Quoting Anonymous:

A common area means that it isn't for your sole use, even if you get there first.  You have to share.  If you aren't willing to share, take it inside.  It's a simple solution.  Apparently, y'all just want to bitch about other people's kids.  I wouldn't ever bitch about a 6 year old seeing some treats and wanting some.  I would think I was mean to eat it in front of them, actually.

Quoting Teeshann:

Just because its in a common area doeasnt make it a free for all.should be able to eat at the park without everyon wanting to help themselves to her food.

Again op just tell them you don't have enough this time.

And maybe send around a smore party invite but ask each family to bring some supplies. Specify what you want each person to bring. That way its not all on you.

Quoting Anonymous:

They are kids.  You live in an apartment and are grilling and eating in a common area.  If you want the food for just your family, take it back to your apartment and eat it once it is cooked.  It sounds like the kids had fun and are just looking for their next smores party.  Wouldn't you have when you were six?

MommyCora
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I would say no but be really nice about it. I work with childen and I know how they respond best. I'd say "Gosh sweetheart, I'm so sorry but I just don't have any extra food today! Oh, but if on another day if I have extra, I'll be sure to let you know, okay? For now, maybe your mommy has some food, you should go ask her!"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
0.o
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured