Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No English? You should NOT be answering a business phone!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 152 Replies
14 moms liked this

I am so sick to trying to call a business and the person who picks up doesn't speak or understand English very well.  If you don't speak English, you should be able to get a job with the general public.  If your accent is so heavy that a non Hispanic person can not understand you, you should not have a job where you speak to the general public.

I had to make an appointment with my pedi today, the the office girls speak NO ENGLISH.. at least not that anyone can understand.  I like our pedi, but gee.  I had to spell my child's name twenty times, and I am still not sure she got it right, and I have no idea if I have the appointment date and time right because I could barely understand her.

Its the same with our health insurance.  My child has special needs and we have to through a special insurance company.  CMS.. NONE of the ladies there speak English at all, and we are supposed to "ask" permission to see doctors etc..  Why if they have no idea what you are saying??

Does it bug you when you call a business and the person who answers speaks no English?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
garnet83
by on May. 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM
5 moms liked this

Agreed. More than that, I have to press "1" for English and I get transfered to India and still can't understand them. It's like they're saying, "Okay you can have English, but just barely."

GOBryan
by on May. 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I speak English and Spanish fluently so not a problem but I agree, they should be able to communicate in English if they are answering a business phone. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Do you speak with a heavy Spanish accent, where English speaking people have to ask you what you are saying over and over again?

Quoting GOBryan:

I speak English and Spanish fluently so not a problem but I agree, they should be able to communicate in English if they are answering a business phone. 

Bertha21
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Since this isn't a place that you have to speak a certain language, no it doesn't bother me. I love living in a place where you can speak any language you want. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting garnet83:

Agreed. More than that, I have to press "1" for English and I get transfered to India and still can't understand them. It's like they're saying, "Okay you can have English, but just barely."

I agree.  I HATE being transfered to India.  They were AMERICAN jobs that got hijacked by the global economy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
It bugs me when people get annoyed with accents in general...
My husband has an accent.
He is fluent in English, has been here 11 years. But some people come at him with attitude because of that...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Quoting Bertha21:

Since this isn't a place that you have to speak a certain language, no it doesn't bother me. I love living in a place where you can speak any language you want. :)

Thats all well and good, but if you speak Spanish only most people are not going to be understand you.  What happens when you can't understand the person answering the phone?

GOBryan
by on May. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have an accent at all. People who speak with me over the phone think I'm a blonde with blue eyes. Spanish is more a 2nd language since I've been here from Cuba since the age of 2.  I attended private schools and most of my friends were American. 

I hate speaking to Customer Service in India. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you speak with a heavy Spanish accent, where English speaking people have to ask you what you are saying over and over again?

Quoting GOBryan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
It bothers the ever loving shit out of me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

It bugs me when people get annoyed with accents in general...
My husband has an accent.
He is fluent in English, has been here 11 years. But some people come at him with attitude because of that...

Is his accent to heavy that it is hard to understand him? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)