Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No English? You should NOT be answering a business phone!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am so sick to trying to call a business and the person who picks up doesn't speak or understand English very well.  If you don't speak English, you should be able to get a job with the general public.  If your accent is so heavy that a non Hispanic person can not understand you, you should not have a job where you speak to the general public.

I had to make an appointment with my pedi today, the the office girls speak NO ENGLISH.. at least not that anyone can understand.  I like our pedi, but gee.  I had to spell my child's name twenty times, and I am still not sure she got it right, and I have no idea if I have the appointment date and time right because I could barely understand her.

Its the same with our health insurance.  My child has special needs and we have to through a special insurance company.  CMS.. NONE of the ladies there speak English at all, and we are supposed to "ask" permission to see doctors etc..  Why if they have no idea what you are saying??

Does it bug you when you call a business and the person who answers speaks no English?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Replies (151-152):
PTBAAMom
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Jackson Hewitts customer support in only in INDIA.

Vamp
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

guess they didn't...

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL..

With so many looking for jobs, I think they could find an ENGLISH speaking receptionist for my pedi's office.

Quoting Vamp:

well...I guess they do.

Or maybe english speaking people don't want that kind of job in your area...IDK as I tell you being bilingual I don't have issues with that, and here in my area there are not many bilingual or spanish speaking people.

and FYI not onlu hispanics dont learn the language...I'n my time of debt collector I would find people of all kinds of nationalities haveing a VERY strong accent or not speaking the language at all, corean, vietnameese, french, creole, some native american.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really?  So business are supposed to hire non English speakers because of equal opportunity.

They have an equal opportunity to LEARN ENGLISH before getting a job.

Quoting Vamp:

Have you heard of equal opportunity employment?

Quoting Anonymous:

Having an accent is one thing.  No one being able to understand someone because of the accent is somthing different.  If I go into a speciality grocery, I expect the people to have an accent. The pedi, insurance, utility companies etc I expect to hire people who speak English.

Quoting Vamp:

ohh yeah!! I do hate when they pretend to not understand beacuse of an accent...It feels like they are being racist.

I do have n accent and most people understand me, but then there are some people that try to put you down...its funny and when they tell me to learn to speak english, I tell them, well I'm bilingual, what about you?

hehehe

Hate uptight nose up in the air people

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN