Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bout to seriously beat some one (son with Vernal keratoconjunctivitis ) *RANT*** UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 185 Replies
1 mom liked this

AFter a year of seeing a doc off and on with a bunch of different eye drops and NO diagnosis I finally asked friends to recommond another doc after my son woke up like THIS

Vernal keratoconjunctivitis is the diagnosis we got THANK GOD finally have some idea what we're dealing with. 

We got two meds and I told the doc straight up, the reason we couldn't get the first few meds from the other doc was that they are too expensive, the insurance screamed for a prior authorization, and the doc office told me "oh we don't do those they take too long."  Yes, because sending six different perscriptions takes a shorter time than filling out a little paperwork.  WHATEVER.

Anyway, THIS doc filled out the prior auth forms before we even left the doc office so I KNOW they were done.  I get to the pharmacy a half hour away and get told they don't have the right forms.  I say fine, what is the cost I will pay out of pocket because we really need them NOW.  I get told over $300 FOR TWO EYE DROPS.  I call the doc office, he was with a patient but his receptionist said she'd get right on it.  I left the pharmacy and had to give my son his previous eyedrops that aren't that effective but it's all Ihave.  poor guy is screaming and wants to claw his eyes out.

About an hour later the doctor himself calls me, says he took care of it, called the pharmacy himself and they told him they have the forms, and it should be ready.  Alright then, my mom was on the road so I called her to go to the pharmacy for me.  She comes back with "they said they didn't have anything yet for him."

I'm seriously about to just go APE SHIT.  the swelling was starting to get worse so I made him a cold compress like the doc said and gave him some benadryl just so he could get SOME relief and calm him down so he stops rubbing so much.  Right now he's kinda zoned out on the sofa and he isn't fussing about it anymore so that's good.

The pharmacy closes at 8.  I am calling at 7 to find out wtf is going on -- if they have anything yet.  I am going to get those drops TODAY even if some one has to lose a limb.

Okay, I feel better.

Well, not really. I will feel better once my son can freaking open his eyes without looking like some strung-out crack head.

****Wow I go to bed, come back and there's this many posts! 

Yes, this doc is AMAZING he got the insurance to pay up on both eyedrops!!!  This morning his eye is damn near swollen shut but the doc did say it might take a day or two for the steriod drops to work.

What this condition is, is a severe allergic reaction to anything that is more common in boys his age than girls, and it is something they normally grow out of in puberty.  Weirdest thing I ever heard, but that's what he said and when I googled it, got told the same thing.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

****** He says his eyes FEEL better but they don't LOOK better after a full day's course of both drops.  Here's praying tomorrow he looks better.

****this morning there is only a tiny bit of swelling and the redness is almost completely gone!  He felt good enough to go to his gma's today, my uncles are over there frying fish.  I am taking this opportunity to catch up on homework and have a little bit quiet time.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM
13 moms liked this
Breastmilk. Free and works better than any drop imo! Sorry u r going thru so much crap :( I hate medical bs
ambermarie2006
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried an ice pack? I get like that every spring and summer, such a pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AScaredMomma
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Stupid people sorry everyone is giving you the run around today momma! Good job doing what you have tofor your lo though!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 7:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting svolkov:

Breastmilk. Free and works better than any drop imo! Sorry u r going thru so much crap :( I hate medical bs

If I still had any, that's what I'd do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM
21 moms liked this

what makes you think she's lactating?  that kid's like 5-6

Quoting svolkov:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 7:07 PM

He's got an ice pack right now, just kinda sitting on his face.  The benadryl seems to have calmed the itching/need to rub it all the time. 

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Have you tried an ice pack? I get like that every spring and summer, such a pain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting AScaredMomma:

Stupid people sorry everyone is giving you the run around today momma! Good job doing what you have tofor your lo though!

I am working with his dad right now trying to see if we can scrape together enough to pick it up tonight if the inurance doesn't come through.

AScaredMomma
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope the insurance decides to get their heads outta of their a$$es and get your kiddo the meds he needs! Also call thed doctor office maybe and see if they have samples of that med or anything close to maybe last the night til you can battle the insurance more in the morning? I worked at a dr. Office and there was always a ton of samples available!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AScaredMomma:

I am working with his dad right now trying to see if we can scrape together enough to pick it up tonight if the inurance doesn't come through.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM

haha I actually asked before we left, he didn't have any of what he perscribed but he did have some others he gave me but they don't seem to be helping much.  He really needs the steriod one to clear this up.

Quoting AScaredMomma:

I hope the insurance decides to get their heads outta of their a$$es and get your kiddo the meds he needs! Also call thed doctor office maybe and see if they have samples of that med or anything close to maybe last the night til you can battle the insurance more in the morning? I worked at a dr. Office and there was always a ton of samples available!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AScaredMomma:

AScaredMomma
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Good thinking on asking! But sucks they arent helping more :( hope he feels (and can see) better soon! Good wishes/thoughts your way :) i hope you can get it all figured out without anyone loosing any appendages!

Quoting Anonymous:

haha I actually asked before we left, he didn't have any of what he perscribed but he did have some others he gave me but they don't seem to be helping much.  He really needs the steriod one to clear this up.

Quoting AScaredMomma:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AScaredMomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)