Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bout to seriously beat some one (son with Vernal keratoconjunctivitis ) *RANT*** UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

AFter a year of seeing a doc off and on with a bunch of different eye drops and NO diagnosis I finally asked friends to recommond another doc after my son woke up like THIS

Vernal keratoconjunctivitis is the diagnosis we got THANK GOD finally have some idea what we're dealing with. 

We got two meds and I told the doc straight up, the reason we couldn't get the first few meds from the other doc was that they are too expensive, the insurance screamed for a prior authorization, and the doc office told me "oh we don't do those they take too long."  Yes, because sending six different perscriptions takes a shorter time than filling out a little paperwork.  WHATEVER.

Anyway, THIS doc filled out the prior auth forms before we even left the doc office so I KNOW they were done.  I get to the pharmacy a half hour away and get told they don't have the right forms.  I say fine, what is the cost I will pay out of pocket because we really need them NOW.  I get told over $300 FOR TWO EYE DROPS.  I call the doc office, he was with a patient but his receptionist said she'd get right on it.  I left the pharmacy and had to give my son his previous eyedrops that aren't that effective but it's all Ihave.  poor guy is screaming and wants to claw his eyes out.

About an hour later the doctor himself calls me, says he took care of it, called the pharmacy himself and they told him they have the forms, and it should be ready.  Alright then, my mom was on the road so I called her to go to the pharmacy for me.  She comes back with "they said they didn't have anything yet for him."

I'm seriously about to just go APE SHIT.  the swelling was starting to get worse so I made him a cold compress like the doc said and gave him some benadryl just so he could get SOME relief and calm him down so he stops rubbing so much.  Right now he's kinda zoned out on the sofa and he isn't fussing about it anymore so that's good.

The pharmacy closes at 8.  I am calling at 7 to find out wtf is going on -- if they have anything yet.  I am going to get those drops TODAY even if some one has to lose a limb.

Okay, I feel better.

Well, not really. I will feel better once my son can freaking open his eyes without looking like some strung-out crack head.

****Wow I go to bed, come back and there's this many posts! 

Yes, this doc is AMAZING he got the insurance to pay up on both eyedrops!!!  This morning his eye is damn near swollen shut but the doc did say it might take a day or two for the steriod drops to work.

What this condition is, is a severe allergic reaction to anything that is more common in boys his age than girls, and it is something they normally grow out of in puberty.  Weirdest thing I ever heard, but that's what he said and when I googled it, got told the same thing.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

****** He says his eyes FEEL better but they don't LOOK better after a full day's course of both drops.  Here's praying tomorrow he looks better.

****this morning there is only a tiny bit of swelling and the redness is almost completely gone!  He felt good enough to go to his gma's today, my uncles are over there frying fish.  I am taking this opportunity to catch up on homework and have a little bit quiet time.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Replies (181-185):
misscharissalee
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM
You people are ridiculous. Just a bunch of shit talking women with nothing better to do than sit on this site starting arguments with people you know you will never meet And You're The adults in this world? Stupid, you're doing more cyber bullying than teens do.

I really hope this got resolved and your son is much better, don't listen to people who tell you your priorities are off.

And breastmilk is the answer to everything. I don't know why someone is called a freak for trying the most natural inexpensive route possible before spending their hard earned money on meds which could be used on something else their child needs.
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are using steroid eye drops, make sure the doc is testing his eye pressure regularly. it's concerning to me that it took him a year to figure this out. it took ONE visit to an opthamologist for a dx for my ds. It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies if you kwim.

Increased eye pressure is a real risk with steroid drops and if left unchecked WILL cause blindness - glaucoma.

keep up with a daily allergy medication - zyrtec works best for us.

Without ME there would be no awesome!

bhejlik
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Yay for a happy ending! Good doc you have there!!!! But your pharmacy sounds like it sucks!

tossed
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tossed:

FYI...prolonged use of steroid eye drops can lead to glaucoma. I have a condition that required use of steroid drops...a month or so...and was on the verge of glaucoma as a result.

Prior authorizations, depending on the insurance company, normally take from 24-72 hours. Many insurance companies have a pharmaceutical review department. I have been working on a prior authorization for almost 2 months and it was finally approved by the insurance company on May 2nd. 

FYI. Vernal keratoconjunctivitis can lead to blindness if not treated.

FYI. Unless you have a family history of glaucoma, you know as well as I know IOP from corticosteriod drops returns to normal within four to five weeks once corticosteriod treatment is stopped, so not really getting where you're going with this unless it's to scare people off getting proper eye treatment.

I have ZERO family history of glaucoma and my eye tests have not returned to normal although I have been off of steroid drops for years. 

The point is that people seem to be quick to use medicines without really researching the outcome. I was guilty of that with steroid drops. The eye dr quickly prescribed them for continued use and never indicated there was a potential issue with glaucoma. Fortunately, my internist expressed concern, sent me to another eye dr who was outraged at the prescribing habits of the first eye dr. Now, years later, I am still dealing with the issue. 

I think you missed the point that prior authorizations normally do not happen with a snap of the fingers for medications. If I remember this post correctly, it was expected that the medication would be approved quickly. That does not always happen. At times, additional information is needed. I and my doctor have worked on prior authorization for one medication since the end of Jan. or the beginning of Feb. and the approval went through on May 2. It has definitely been frustrating, but the drug costs $1600 a month and I cannot afford it without insurance coverage. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Quoting tossed:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tossed:

FYI...prolonged use of steroid eye drops can lead to glaucoma. I have a condition that required use of steroid drops...a month or so...and was on the verge of glaucoma as a result.

Prior authorizations, depending on the insurance company, normally take from 24-72 hours. Many insurance companies have a pharmaceutical review department. I have been working on a prior authorization for almost 2 months and it was finally approved by the insurance company on May 2nd. 

FYI. Vernal keratoconjunctivitis can lead to blindness if not treated.

FYI. Unless you have a family history of glaucoma, you know as well as I know IOP from corticosteriod drops returns to normal within four to five weeks once corticosteriod treatment is stopped, so not really getting where you're going with this unless it's to scare people off getting proper eye treatment.

I have ZERO family history of glaucoma and my eye tests have not returned to normal although I have been off of steroid drops for years. 

The point is that people seem to be quick to use medicines without really researching the outcome. I was guilty of that with steroid drops. The eye dr quickly prescribed them for continued use and never indicated there was a potential issue with glaucoma. Fortunately, my internist expressed concern, sent me to another eye dr who was outraged at the prescribing habits of the first eye dr. Now, years later, I am still dealing with the issue. 

I think you missed the point that prior authorizations normally do not happen with a snap of the fingers for medications. If I remember this post correctly, it was expected that the medication would be approved quickly. That does not always happen. At times, additional information is needed. I and my doctor have worked on prior authorization for one medication since the end of Jan. or the beginning of Feb. and the approval went through on May 2. It has definitely been frustrating, but the drug costs $1600 a month and I cannot afford it without insurance coverage. 

You stated you were on the drops for a month or so. No drop is going to cause glaucoma in a month of so. If you have no family history of glaucoma, you most likely had glaucoma which for some reason was overlooked. As for having to wait 2 months for a medication you need approved, look to your lously health care system for the answer. I'm amazed at how so many of you bitch about the hoops you have to go through to get proper health care, prescriptions etc. yet the majority of you go ape shit when the subject of universal health care is brought up.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)