Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bout to seriously beat some one (son with Vernal keratoconjunctivitis ) *RANT*** UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

AFter a year of seeing a doc off and on with a bunch of different eye drops and NO diagnosis I finally asked friends to recommond another doc after my son woke up like THIS

Vernal keratoconjunctivitis is the diagnosis we got THANK GOD finally have some idea what we're dealing with. 

We got two meds and I told the doc straight up, the reason we couldn't get the first few meds from the other doc was that they are too expensive, the insurance screamed for a prior authorization, and the doc office told me "oh we don't do those they take too long."  Yes, because sending six different perscriptions takes a shorter time than filling out a little paperwork.  WHATEVER.

Anyway, THIS doc filled out the prior auth forms before we even left the doc office so I KNOW they were done.  I get to the pharmacy a half hour away and get told they don't have the right forms.  I say fine, what is the cost I will pay out of pocket because we really need them NOW.  I get told over $300 FOR TWO EYE DROPS.  I call the doc office, he was with a patient but his receptionist said she'd get right on it.  I left the pharmacy and had to give my son his previous eyedrops that aren't that effective but it's all Ihave.  poor guy is screaming and wants to claw his eyes out.

About an hour later the doctor himself calls me, says he took care of it, called the pharmacy himself and they told him they have the forms, and it should be ready.  Alright then, my mom was on the road so I called her to go to the pharmacy for me.  She comes back with "they said they didn't have anything yet for him."

I'm seriously about to just go APE SHIT.  the swelling was starting to get worse so I made him a cold compress like the doc said and gave him some benadryl just so he could get SOME relief and calm him down so he stops rubbing so much.  Right now he's kinda zoned out on the sofa and he isn't fussing about it anymore so that's good.

The pharmacy closes at 8.  I am calling at 7 to find out wtf is going on -- if they have anything yet.  I am going to get those drops TODAY even if some one has to lose a limb.

Okay, I feel better.

Well, not really. I will feel better once my son can freaking open his eyes without looking like some strung-out crack head.

****Wow I go to bed, come back and there's this many posts! 

Yes, this doc is AMAZING he got the insurance to pay up on both eyedrops!!!  This morning his eye is damn near swollen shut but the doc did say it might take a day or two for the steriod drops to work.

What this condition is, is a severe allergic reaction to anything that is more common in boys his age than girls, and it is something they normally grow out of in puberty.  Weirdest thing I ever heard, but that's what he said and when I googled it, got told the same thing.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

****** He says his eyes FEEL better but they don't LOOK better after a full day's course of both drops.  Here's praying tomorrow he looks better.

****this morning there is only a tiny bit of swelling and the redness is almost completely gone!  He felt good enough to go to his gma's today, my uncles are over there frying fish.  I am taking this opportunity to catch up on homework and have a little bit quiet time.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Have you tried a different pharmacy? A prescription I was prescribed and was going to pick up through my regular (chain) pharmacy said the GENERIC was going to be $90 because it wasn't covered by insurance. Went to the clinic pharmacy (recommended by OB) and it was $5.
aurora.dove
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM

You may check with the pharmacy and see if they can reimburse you once the insurance goes through, I've had my pharmay do that for me before when an authorization was taking a while and it was something I really needed. It's at least worth a shot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's shameful that the insurance company is playing stupid games with you. Recently my sons' (identical twins, identical health problems) medication were dropped by their insurance company WITHOUT warning. The medication the insurance approves doesn't work on them (it was one of the first medications they tried six years ago and it didn't work then for them). No warning what so ever! Now we're fighting the insurance company because we paid $80 for 12 pills (three days worth - two each day per child) just so they could have medication while things were resolved or a DIFFERNET prescription was written!

Oh and shame on Cafemom for using your quote to draw people into the conversation!

kailu1835
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM
You TOTALLY beat me to it lol

Quoting svolkov:

Breastmilk. Free and works better than any drop imo! Sorry u r going thru so much crap :( I hate medical bs
unspecified42
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM
So pay the money so your child can stop suffering!!! Resolve it later with insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting svolkov:

Breastmilk. Free and works better than any drop imo! Sorry u r going thru so much crap :( I hate medical bs

Are you for freaking real? The boy has an eye disease not an eye irritation. My god you breast milk freaks are unreal with your breast milk works better than anything bullshit. You're so effed you probably tell people with teminal cancer that breast milk will cure them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kailu1835:

You TOTALLY beat me to it lol

Quoting svolkov:

Stupid is as stupid does.

kyuteangl88
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Hope you were able to get the meds so he is feeling some relief, poor lil guy :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Have you done any research on your son's diagnosis? If you haven't, I strongly suggest you do, and soon.  Instead of bitching about who's going to pay for the meds and when, just pay for them yourself and have your insurance reimburse you when the paperwork is done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 11, 2013 at 2:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Not everyone just has $300 that they can throw away like that...

Quoting unspecified42:

So pay the money so your child can stop suffering!!! Resolve it later with insurance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)