Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM
  • 11 Replies

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/disney-princess-makeover-sparks-outrage--merida-petition-goes-viral-175251230.html

The gist of it is, Disney is going to make the girl, I think her name is Merida, from Brave and make her an official princess. That's good and all, but they are making her more "sexy." The made her hair look like it was done in a beauty shop, threw on a bunch of make up, made her waist a lot smaller, and stuck her in that dress that she absolutely hated and tore off in the movie. She looks different. In my opinion, she looks like she got her personality sucked right out of her. I liked her better when she had no make up, messy hair, and the simple dress.

I don't have a daughter, so I'm not one of those parents going, "My daughter looked up to her and now how do I explain this to her?" I'm just curious what you ladies think about it? Is it as big of a deal as some mothers are making it out to be?

by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuirkyMom26
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I really don't see a huge difference to be honest. We all saw the movie. It was adorable.

PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:16 AM

I saw the movie with DS and he loved it. I was just going through some of the comments that the parents were writing on the petition and you would think that the world was over and the lives of their daughters were going to be forever changed because the princess that was most like them was being "sexified." I thought that was a little dramatic, but I don't have a girl, just a boy, and so far he has had no interest in looking up to Disney princesses, so I thought I'd see what other people say.

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

I really don't see a huge difference to be honest. We all saw the movie. It was adorable.

crumpy_gat
by No. on May. 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see a difference..just more cartoon than computer animated.

Skanky cartoon.

SageAdvice
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Um you tell them she grew up and her taste changed, as it often does when women muture. 

RME @ people freaking out over a little make up and combed hair. The dress isn't much different, it just looks more embellished and more expensive, which is what all women strive for, yes... even poor women lmao

PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:22 AM

The issue women are having with the dress is that the character in the movie HATED the dress and tore it off (it was truly very dramatic, haha), so they don't understand why Disney would put her in it. I dunno. I understand that they were happy to have a princess that wasn't all about falling in love, hair, and make up, but I don't see why the way she is dressed has to change all of that. I prefer her in the first picture before her make over, but I don't see it as a life changing thing that she's dressed that way.

Quoting SageAdvice:

Um you tell them she grew up and her taste changed, as it often does when women muture. 

RME @ people freaking out over a little make up and combed hair. The dress isn't much different, it just looks more embellished and more expensive, which is what all women strive for, yes... even poor women lmao

Leobaby2007
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Yes. I can definitely see where they made her slimmer and more glamorous. Don't have a daughter, but I watched Brave with my son and rather liked Merida in her "true" form. It was refreshing.

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:24 AM
*shrug*
It looks like she hit puberty lol
PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Me, too. I was never a "princess" type and I loved her in the movie because it wasn't all about falling in love and I think she has more personality than a lot of the other princesses, I just don't think that the way she is dressed should be such a huge deal to people that they would think their daughter's entire life will be negatively impacted by it.

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Yes. I can definitely see where they made her slimmer and more glamorous. Don't have a daughter, but I watched Brave with my son and rather liked Merida in her "true" form. It was refreshing.

SageAdvice
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:43 AM

tsk tsk tsk, Even most tom boys out grow their boyishness and want pretty clothes when they are older, especially if the right guy comes along. lol

maybe their next princess can be butch.

Quoting PeaceLoveAndTea:

The issue women are having with the dress is that the character in the movie HATED the dress and tore it off (it was truly very dramatic, haha), so they don't understand why Disney would put her in it. I dunno. I understand that they were happy to have a princess that wasn't all about falling in love, hair, and make up, but I don't see why the way she is dressed has to change all of that. I prefer her in the first picture before her make over, but I don't see it as a life changing thing that she's dressed that way.

Quoting SageAdvice:

PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:29 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)