Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Teacher said the N word"

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM
  • 19 Replies
My 8 year old daughter and I were making a quick run to the store last night (it was pretty quiet in the car) and my daughter said "you know the N word? Well my teacher said it in class". And she went on asking me if I have ever used the word, and I told her I haven't and then she asked me why it was bad. I told her that is what people call "black people" (sorry if I offend?!) and it is not a nice word to call anyone.
So I wanted to hear more about the teacher using the word. And she said it was when they were talking about slavery and my daughter said "my teacher said
slaves were ignorant N*****s". OMG! REALLY?!!!
Now, im not sure what to do. I don't know if maybe the teacher was explaining how people used to call slaves that, or if that was her own opinion???? This teacher is highly inappropriate!! And something needs to be done, I'm pretty sure she WILL NOT be teaching next year because of everyone's dislike of her. Makes me sad that MY daughter had to have her this year :-(

Do you think I should say something or let it be? There's only a few more days left at school.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 11, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Really, she was probably explaining things.  If she is on a contract she is allowed to finish.  

jeweldragons
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:32 AM

She was probably explaining things. 

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:32 AM
She was probably explaining how people spoke back then. I doubt she was giving a personal opinion.
all2gethernow
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM
I would have to question the teacher. I'd want to know why she used it. That would make my skin boil. I HATE that word!!! They can't use Huck Finn in highschool because of that word-so why use it with 7 year olds?!!!
isaiahsmomma86
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

She could have said "negros", not the other word. 

In elementary school, my sister told on a boy for saying the "f" word. This boy denied it and denied it. My mom and the principal had to talk my sister into saying the word he said, they had to be sure if the boy was going to get in trouble, ya know? So finally she says "he said 'fart'" which was a word WE werent allowed to use, but not the "f" word as everyone else on the planet knows the F word. lol. 

JTROX
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I think its trashy of anyone to use that word, people of any race.

LHummel
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I would say something. 

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I'd speak with both the teacher and the principal. Regardless of the context, profanity is not appropriate in elementary school classrooms.

When she's older, it will come up in some of the literature, and age-appropriate discussions will be acceptable then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I would be courious how the word was used and I would ask the teacher. But I would be respectful and show simple couriosity. I wouldn't storm in acussing her of anything.
xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

She was probably explaining things and I also agree, maybe she said negro and not the other n word. That would make a little more sense given the context.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)