Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Teacher said the N word"

Posted by   + Show Post
My 8 year old daughter and I were making a quick run to the store last night (it was pretty quiet in the car) and my daughter said "you know the N word? Well my teacher said it in class". And she went on asking me if I have ever used the word, and I told her I haven't and then she asked me why it was bad. I told her that is what people call "black people" (sorry if I offend?!) and it is not a nice word to call anyone.
So I wanted to hear more about the teacher using the word. And she said it was when they were talking about slavery and my daughter said "my teacher said
slaves were ignorant N*****s". OMG! REALLY?!!!
Now, im not sure what to do. I don't know if maybe the teacher was explaining how people used to call slaves that, or if that was her own opinion???? This teacher is highly inappropriate!! And something needs to be done, I'm pretty sure she WILL NOT be teaching next year because of everyone's dislike of her. Makes me sad that MY daughter had to have her this year :-(

Do you think I should say something or let it be? There's only a few more days left at school.
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Replies (11-19):
amyleigh80
by Amy... on May. 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM
It's inappropriate to use in front of eight year olds. Those lessons should be more geared to middle and high school students. I would question the teachers lesson plan and why she felt it necessary to bring that up.
danie24
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I would flip out and I would be at the school.

I've had slavery explained to me throughout school and not once did a teacher use that word.

If she was explaining how slaves were treated.. would saying they were fucking niggers instead of ignorant niggers be fine with everyone?

Don't be hypocrites, Moms. Profanity is profanity. There is no need to use it in a classroom to make a point or explain something.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Quoting LHummel:

I would say something. 

cabsmom10
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM
She is finishing out her year, heard through the grape vine, she will not be returning next year.

She movedfrom 6th grade to 3rd because of problems too :-(

Quoting Anonymous:

Really, she was probably explaining things.  If she is on a contract she is allowed to finish.  

PeaceLoveAndTea
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I would ask her about it before jumping to conclusions. She might have been showing the kids what kind of language they used. What grade is your daughter in? Either way, it is inappropriate to just throw it out there like that if your daughter is really young. If you talk to her and it seems like that is her opinion or if she was talking that way just for the hell of it, I would take it up with the principal. I would not be okay with my child's teacher talking that way.

mikandwheezy
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM

last few days or not you should say something. i would have said something if one of MY high school teachers said that. i hate that word. no one should say it. black white mexican whatever. theyre not going to fire her just because people dont like her. reasons like this is why they would though. 

cabsmom10
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I strongly agree. This is the same teacher who told her class that president Obama almost didn't get his 2nd term because he had to hide his pictures at home because he was related to terrorist. And yes, my daughter told me this.

I emailed the school counselor (I know her on a personal level) and told her what Brooklyn told me. And told her I was venting, not accusing

Quoting amyleigh80:

It's inappropriate to use in front of eight year olds. Those lessons should be more geared to middle and high school students. I would question the teachers lesson plan and why she felt it necessary to bring that up.
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Lol, that is what I thought was the 'f' word for years! I was 16 or 17 before I found out what it really was (by that time I knew 'fart' wasn't it, I just had no idea what it was).

Quoting isaiahsmomma86:

She could have said "negros", not the other word. 

In elementary school, my sister told on a boy for saying the "f" word. This boy denied it and denied it. My mom and the principal had to talk my sister into saying the word he said, they had to be sure if the boy was going to get in trouble, ya know? So finally she says "he said 'fart'" which was a word WE werent allowed to use, but not the "f" word as everyone else on the planet knows the F word. lol. 

amyleigh80
by Amy... on May. 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Whoa! This teacher is way out of line. School is not the place to offer personal advice. She needs to get let go.

Quoting cabsmom10:

I strongly agree. This is the same teacher who told her class that president Obama almost didn't get his 2nd term because he had to hide his pictures at home because he was related to terrorist. And yes, my daughter told me this.

I emailed the school counselor (I know her on a personal level) and told her what Brooklyn told me. And told her I was venting, not accusing

Quoting amyleigh80:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured