Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should husbands and boyfriends get their women something for Mother's Day? Mine disagrees

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 114 Replies

My bf and I have a baby together. Of course too young to get me something, but daycare did make a card for me from him.  My older son from a past relationship made me a plant from school. My bf says, really Mother's Day should be about the children doing things, making gifts for their mother. A husband shouldn't have to cause his wife isn't his mother. Same goes for fathers day. Now I can't remember my ex saying this, cause I never got any gifts from him just from friends cause he was always either broke or jobless. Shoudl I feel a bit hurt? What would you think? I'm happy enough for what my son makes from school, every year and now with a new baby will be twice the joy. Everyone's different. How would you take this?

by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GreenAndLean
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM
8 moms liked this
This is how my MIL feels about it and she makes it known, but my husband does not agree. He says he made me a mother and wants to appreciate me on Mother's Day.
emeraldangel20
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

mine isn't getting me anything materialistic, but he's letting me sleep in.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on May. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I think it just depends on the individuals, my father in law never did or does for my mil. My husband grew up seeing how much that hurt her so he makes sure to spoil me. My dad has always gotten my mom something, even to this day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I agree. I only think it's the husbands/boyfriends responsibility to make sure that their is something from the kids for their mother. My husband takes my kids shopping because they are too young to do it themselves but the gift is from the kids and that's how it should be as far as I am concerned.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM
5 moms liked this

It doesn't really matter what he thinks. He knows how YOU feel about it, so he should suck it up and spend $20 on some flowers or something. It's a small price to pay to try to show the woman he loves that he cares.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

My husband spoils me.  He gets me gifts and also takes the children to get me gifts as well.  If you are the mother of the man's child/children, um, yeah, he should be doing something.  WTF 

MommyDearest555
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM

My first Mother's Day (as a mother) was three years ago. Ds was only 2 mths old. Dh got me the CUTEST like ten dollar card that acts as a picture frame as well as a card and wrote that it was from the two of them. It was such a special gift and I put a beautiful picture of my son and I in it. I just love it. My Dh is usually not a very thoughtful guy when it comes to gifts, but that year he did a great job. 

This year my Birthday falls on Mother's Day. My son is three now. I told him my birthday was Sunday and he got all excited. Said to me "I go to the store with Daddy and buy you a present K mom" So my Dh is going to take him to the store and let him pick something to buy me for my birthday. Ds doesn't quite know what Mother's day is. I am sure Dh will have him get me a card too. 

So overall, I feel that Dh/Bf/SO's should not actually buy US a present, but if the kids are younger and can't do it themselves, then they should take the children like mine is or buy something for the child to give to their mother. Or help them make something for mom or just be extra sweet to her that day. It doesn't have to involve BUYING exactly. Just treating the mommy extra special that day.

caramel85
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

That's cool. Mine is a little more old fashioned than me,lol. It's not like I wanted to make a big deal about it, just curious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Thats how my df feels and the same with his family. Sooo... Im on my own. My son is only 1,so it will be a while before he can pick out something.
WrapNLoseInches
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
mine agrees with your dh. mothers day is to honor your mother..not the mother of our children
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)