Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do families/people decide to have multiple children?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I was thinking about this today when my cousin's wife announced she is pregnant with number 4.  I think about everything that's happening around us and it makes me realize that I truly do not want to bring anymore children into the world. Our resources are not limitless and our economy isn't where it should be at. I don't think that enough people are concerned about humanity's future. I'm not trying to be insulting or judgemental; I'm just trying to understand why people continue to have children so carelessly.

Everyone asking why I had a child if I'm against it: because I was young and I did not have the same views as I do now. 

Secondly: "If we stop having kids all together the human race won't survive." Right obviously that's the case. My question was about multiple children. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Replies (21-30):
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Yes, because what works for you works for everyone else.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

I would like to know this to.. why do people have so many kids.. as in more than one... I only ask becouse I am happy with one...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

We encourage neutering and spaying pets...so in my opinion it's not such a great example. I don't think anyone is 'bad.' It's not about providing now and being able to feed them now. What happens 80-100 years from now when all these children are now adults and not enough resources are available to provide for them and THEIR families?

Quoting EvilAsh:

Because I wanted a boy. So, we tried for baby #3. We can take care of and support all 3 of them. What about people that have multiple pets? Are they bad people too? Cuz I have that one nailed down too. 4 cats as well.

MrsBridges19
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I didn't choose to have twins.  It just happened.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I think about the future and I do my part and teach my kids to appreciate and take her of the earth as much as possible. yes, resources are not limitless, but there's no telling WHEN its going to run out. I know it wont be in my lifetime or my kid's lifetime and probably not even THEIR kid's lifetime. should I just not have kids because something MAY happen?
why did you even have one then?
if people can afford, love and take care of their kids, there's nothing wrong to having as many kids as you want. I
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

the world is the way it is. having more or less children isn't going to change that. the world has never been a perfect place. there has always been wars and conflict and problems. and our life in this world is so short. why not do what makes you happy? if having a lot of children brings you happiness, why not? you can't change the way things are so might as well live your life the way you want. especially since no matter what you do, people will always judge you either way.

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:05 PM
I want more well raised children in the world. So if good parents want to have more kids I'm all for it.
gigis1
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM
As much as we dont want to believe or acknowledge the fact that people are ignorant sometimes or just dont care about that stuff, it IS true. I have two kids, not from the same person. I love that they'll always have each other to play with growing up

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes...but they're not going to be kids forever and we're not going to be here forever. What happens when we run out of ways to support everyone in the world? Not everyone is privileged. Kids go hungry everyday and I'm not just talking about third world countries.

Quoting gigis1:

Because they love kids perhaps?

Nee86
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Because we love the happiness each child brings to our family. We plan on at least 1 more after this pregnancy and we'll see where it goes from their.
By the way we raise our own food, including meat, shop at second hand store ( we live on a farm our clothing does not last very long), oh and we recycle, compost, reuse everything we can, need I continue?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Children from larger families have to learn to live with others well and share resources. It could be argued that one and done is bad for the sustainable future of mankind. I don't believe that, not trying to ruffle you up here, just think more fully. The number of children in a family is not an indicator for the the future survival.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I'm not talking about natural disasters or wars. I'm talking about resources and the damage we're doing to Earth.

Quoting Anonymous:

the world is the way it is. having more or less children isn't going to change that. the world has never been a perfect place. there has always been wars and conflict and problems. and our life in this world is so short. why not do what makes you happy? if having a lot of children brings you happiness, why not? you can't change the way things are so might as well live your life the way you want. especially since no matter what you do, people will always judge you either way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)