Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do families/people decide to have multiple children?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I was thinking about this today when my cousin's wife announced she is pregnant with number 4.  I think about everything that's happening around us and it makes me realize that I truly do not want to bring anymore children into the world. Our resources are not limitless and our economy isn't where it should be at. I don't think that enough people are concerned about humanity's future. I'm not trying to be insulting or judgemental; I'm just trying to understand why people continue to have children so carelessly.

Everyone asking why I had a child if I'm against it: because I was young and I did not have the same views as I do now. 

Secondly: "If we stop having kids all together the human race won't survive." Right obviously that's the case. My question was about multiple children. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Replies (41-50):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM
I teach all four of my kids to be a good earth citizen. My four will do less damage than someone who only has one but doesn't teach them right
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know why others do..

But I know why *I* did..

I was an only child, and while I had an amazing childhood, I hate that I don't have siblings to share adulthood with..   My children won't really have cousins..

My children will always have each other, and won't EVER feel "alone" like I have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I did. I'm not denying that. I was very young and didn't think about it at all. I feel that if I had waited I probably would have adopted instead of having my own. I don't plan on having anymore though, just my one, and I truly hope that one day I am able to open my home to kids who do not have a family of their own.

Quoting mommybug77:

So then why did you have a kid at all? Unless you adopted or only have step kids then you contributed to overpopulation.

tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM

How big is the footprint you and your family are leaving? I know huge families that leave small footprints and small families that leave huge footprints. I judge more on how they live their life rather than how big their family is. 

SageAdvice
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM

My late Husband and I knew we wanted a large family - we also knew we could afford one - this included full funding for college if there was a need ( there' wasn't, the children won scholarships and full rides except for 2 - one went military and the others only a young child still )

I live out in the country and have more than enough room for my children to have a good childhood, with a safe place to run free. ( I'm not sure I would have done the same if I lived in a crowded city )

Maybe it was because we didn't have a sense of family growing up and we tried to create our own - what ever the reason it worked for us. I give thanks every day I live where I do and not in some place like China where I wouldn't have the freedom to make the choices I have.

People have their reasons - Leave them be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM

no it's not.  If it is, then you saying you're happy with just one is just as much a copout.

I had another baby because I wanted more than one child.  I originally wanted six, but stopped at two because I felt I was too old to crank out that many kids.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

that is a copout

Quoting Anonymous:

quite simply because not everyone is happy/feels complete with just one.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

I would like to know this to.. why do people have so many kids.. as in more than one... I only ask becouse I am happy with one...

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on May. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM
You know if everyone stopped having kids, what would that do for the future of the human race?
kiriis
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM

If that is the case why have any at all?

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM

i don't think of it as careless. i think that my children are really special (as all parents do) and believe that their existance will have a positive impact on our world. i am raising them to be driven, moral, lovely little people. i have the resources to support them, and see nothing irresponsible about my desire to have a larger family. i think i am working in humanity's best interest, honestly..

jessimicuh
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I've got 2 amazingly beautiful daughters and were expecting our third any day now. I had my daughters because I love them. I love raising them. The economy won't be the same when their our age, it'll be better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)