Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm having a major wtf moment with a male elementary school teacher

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 98 Replies
My daughter and her friends competed in an academic competition. A new teacher was her team's coach. He is a little wacky and out there, but the kids all love him. They stayed after once a week to work on their projects.
Anywho, we are having a bbq today to celebrate all 3 teams sweeping state, and I am having the kids make a big banner for their coach. They decided to make a list of 10 reasons he's the best coach ever on the banner.

One stood out to me. It says: You massaged us when we needed help. They asked specifically how to spell massage.

I asked the girls what they meant by 'he massaged them', and am getting conflicting answers from them. My dd says he 'massaged the numbers' when they were worried about the budget, and the other said he massaged them to help them relax.

I stopped there, as I don't know how to properly question them about this. I just know it's not sitting right with me.

How do I go about handling this, and am I overreacting by being concerned?

*small update* my dd scribbled out the word massage and put 'helped' in place of it, and they are having a disagreement over it.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsnotamovie
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Massaged them where? And how old are they ?
jessimicuh
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
How old are the kids?
I'd be concerned too.... Are the other parents not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I didn't ask where. I left it where it was for a moment so I could text the other girl's mom to see if maybe she knew what they were talking about and talk to my husband about it. I know there os a certain way you're supposed to ask questions so I wanted to make sure i do it right. They are 10.

Quoting itsnotamovie:

Massaged them where? And how old are they ?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I texted the other girl's mom and she didn't know what they were talking about, either. They are 10.

Quoting jessimicuh:

How old are the kids?

I'd be concerned too.... Are the other parents not?

zoo003
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have an open, honest discussion with my dd and find out exactly what was meant by "massage" (although I cannot fathom any reasonable explanation for any teacher to lay hands on a child-even if in the form of "massage"). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Um, whoa.
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Ask Wtf massage means, and ask of he touched them then how.
mjande4
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM
6 moms liked this

My guess is it's perfectly innocent. The kids may think giving a quick shoulder squeeze is a "massage". At ten they should be WELL-VERSED in good touch/bad touch. It clearly didn't make them uncomfortable.

newmom10142011
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Speak with the principal and councelors they will know how to phrase the questions so the girls dont get confused.

Donna.June
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM
I would do what I could to find out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured