Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel so bad for my friend..... this sucks!!!!!

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 20 Replies

2 weeks ago they went camping for the weekend. When they got home, there was a note on the door. It was from their neighbor directly behind them. A big tree fell from their neighbors yard and took out my friend's fence front and back, the pigeon coop my friend's kids had thier birds in, and my friend's boat that they had in the backyard. Luckily, the tree had barely missed their house and ended up only crushing the gutter on the one side of the house. They got the guy's homeowners insurance info and they thought that was that. They got a call back and the insurance company said that it was an "Act if God" and they had to pay for all damage themselves!! The boat was very expensive and it is totalled! The insurance company absolved the neighbor so he doesn't have to help at all, my friend can't even sue! It totally sucks! They even went to a lawyer and he said there is nothing they can do!

by on May. 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MooseMomma
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Why did the free fall? Was there a true act of God (like a big storm) or was the tree dead and should have been cut down. If its the latter and your friend can prove that the tree should have been brought down then they can sue. I saw it on judge Judy once lol.
Erna2
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM

It was a little of both. There was a slight wind storm, but no other tree fell. The tree was rotten, but the lawyer said that the only way she would win is if she has proof that she had contacted the neighbor prior to the incident of the tree, by certified letter etc, she could do nothing,

Quoting MooseMomma:

Why did the free fall? Was there a true act of God (like a big storm) or was the tree dead and should have been cut down. If its the latter and your friend can prove that the tree should have been brought down then they can sue. I saw it on judge Judy once lol.

MooseMomma
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Yeah the lawyer is right. It does suck. What about your friend's homeowners insurance?

Quoting Erna2:

It was a little of both. There was a slight wind storm, but no other tree fell. The tree was rotten, but the lawyer said that the only way she would win is if she has proof that she had contacted the neighbor prior to the incident of the tree, by certified letter etc, she could do nothing,

Quoting MooseMomma:

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

When we first got our home insured and read through the clauses and I read that I was like:

ACT OF MOTHERFUCKING GOD?!

That has got to be THE biggest loophole I have EVER seen in a corporate setting!

"Oh, the flooding isn't covered because nobody sacrificed to God, sorry!"

"Oh, that fire was because God ate a burrito from the gas station and there's no Pepto in heaven. YOU'RE FUCKED!"

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
Erna2
by on May. 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM

She looked into it. Her agent said that the boat is a loss. She (the agent said that they could go through their insurance but their insurance rates would more than double afterwards! They are at a loss. Thank goodness it wasn't their actual house that was damaged!

Quoting MooseMomma:

Yeah the lawyer is right. It does suck. What about your friend's homeowners insurance?

Quoting Erna2:

Quoting MooseMomma:

MooseMomma
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Ugh. Thank goodness the house was spared!!!!

Quoting Erna2:

She looked into it. Her agent said that the boat is a loss. She (the agent said that they could go through their insurance but their insurance rates would more than double afterwards! They are at a loss. Thank goodness it wasn't their actual house that was damaged!

Quoting MooseMomma:

Quoting Erna2:

Quoting MooseMomma:

Erna2
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I agree! She is just so bummed because the fence is totalled and the boat they spent so much on is completly totalled too! They saved and worked so hard to buy that boat 3 years ago...

Quoting MooseMomma:

Ugh. Thank goodness the house was spared!!!!

Quoting Erna2:

Quoting MooseMomma:

Quoting Erna2:

Quoting MooseMomma:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Her neighbor is a POS for noy paying any damages.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Can't she go through her own homeowners, and have them go after the neighbors homeowners?

Erna2
by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The insurance and his lawyer also told him that he was not at fault because of the "Act of God" clause. He can't afford to fix everything without his insurance either.

Quoting Anonymous:

Her neighbor is a POS for noy paying any damages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)