Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you spank for this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DS is 3, autistic, and getting tired.

He threw a pizza crust on the floor.

Dh spanked him, hard, bare bottom for it. Spent a good two minutes yelling about it and won't let him out of time out.

I think that was WAY too harsh

I would have made DS throw the crust away, and sat him in time out for a few minutes. Had he thrown a fit it would have progressed to him being put in his room until he calmed down. No yelling or hitting, which always makes the situation worse. Getting put in time out or in his room until he is calm is usually effective for DS.

I let DS out of time out and had a few choice words for my husband.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
tardistraveller
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Spanking a special needs toddler for something so small is just wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I have swatted his bottom as a knee-jerk reaction if he's put himself in danger. Like he's run out in traffic or something. Never hard, and never for something so minor.

Quoting nicolemead91:

As soon as I read "autistic" ... I didn't read the rest. No need to! You just don't spank a child! Period! It's not right! :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM

No, But i don't think you should have gotten mad at your dh. Ds would have had to deal with the punishment his father (assuming he is the dad) gave him. That night i would have had a talk with dh about what i would have done.

Pnukey
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Nope. I did spank, but not for something so trivial.

mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM

No I would not go that far!!

idee
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM

My older brother is autistic and he was never spanked, he did not understand some things and we had to explain to him. It taught me a lot of patience while growing up and I don't spank my daughter who is now 15. 

Spanking is called corporal punishment and it is wrong in my opinion. It is only good for immediate control, but the good behavior never lasts. 

I guess it is a parents way of avoiding the ever long why questions that children ask. It is easier for some parents to spank then think. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Exact same thing. Dh does not differentiate appropriate discipline, he approaches everything like its the worst thing the kids can do at that time.

Quoting RMC007:

I think that is too harsh for a 3 year old, even if he is not autistic. I would have made the 3 year old pick up the crust off the floor, throw it in the trash, and depending on why he threw in on the floor, I would have made him sit in timeout for 3 minutes. I would hate to see what your husband would do for something serious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Amen.

Quoting tardistraveller:

Spanking a special needs toddler for something so small is just wrong.

nicolemead91
by on May. 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Yes I guess I could understand since that's for his safety, but spanking just because he's throwing a tantrum or throwing stuff on the floor..is just not right in my eyes.
If that were my dh, spanking my ds, I would be furious.. Idk just sayinnn. IMO

Quoting Anonymous:

I have swatted his bottom as a knee-jerk reaction if he's put himself in danger. Like he's run out in traffic or something. Never hard, and never for something so minor.

Quoting nicolemead91:

As soon as I read "autistic" ... I didn't read the rest. No need to! You just don't spank a child! Period! It's not right! :(
.Milfshake.
by SoNastySoRude on May. 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Quoting Toonkasmommy:

I do believe in spanking but not for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN