Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you spank for this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DS is 3, autistic, and getting tired.

He threw a pizza crust on the floor.

Dh spanked him, hard, bare bottom for it. Spent a good two minutes yelling about it and won't let him out of time out.

I think that was WAY too harsh

I would have made DS throw the crust away, and sat him in time out for a few minutes. Had he thrown a fit it would have progressed to him being put in his room until he calmed down. No yelling or hitting, which always makes the situation worse. Getting put in time out or in his room until he is calm is usually effective for DS.

I let DS out of time out and had a few choice words for my husband.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM

We don't spank...that was really harsh for 3 yrs old. Sounds like your dh doesn't understand autism to much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM
He is ds's dad, but with a child that young, who cannot communicate or understand fully wth is going on, you do more harm than good by making him fear you.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, But i don't think you should have gotten mad at your dh. Ds would have had to deal with the punishment his father (assuming he is the dad) gave him. That night i would have had a talk with dh about what i would have done.

RobinBright
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM

No, I don't hit my children for any reason.  

Your response to this is MUCH more appropriate than DH.  We would have a major problem on our hands if my SO ever did something that absurd.  

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM
I only spank for fear of God offenses, so no I wouldn't have spanked for that.

Furthermore, he is double punishing. He was already spanked, the time out goes over-board.

It should have been one or the other, and with a three year old his time out should be about 3 minutes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM

If they think this is bad...  Wait til he's older.  My son bad aspergers.  When that boy gets older, the metldowns will be epic.  Discipline does nothing to deter it and spanking will only deterioate trust and their relationship.  Honestly as an autistic mom, spanking an autistic is wrong.  They don't correlate behaviour to spanking as discipline and it will escalate thigns.

Quoting nicolemead91:

Yes I guess I could understand since that's for his safety, but spanking just because he's throwing a tantrum or throwing stuff on the floor..is just not right in my eyes.
If that were my dh, spanking my ds, I would be furious.. Idk just sayinnn. IMO

Quoting Anonymous:

I have swatted his bottom as a knee-jerk reaction if he's put himself in danger. Like he's run out in traffic or something. Never hard, and never for something so minor.

Quoting nicolemead91:

As soon as I read "autistic" ... I didn't read the rest. No need to! You just don't spank a child! Period! It's not right! :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Believe me I am beyond pissed. I'm not talking to Dh at the moment because I don't trust myself to keep my temper under control.

Quoting nicolemead91:

Yes I guess I could understand since that's for his safety, but spanking just because he's throwing a tantrum or throwing stuff on the floor..is just not right in my eyes.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have swatted his bottom as a knee-jerk reaction if he's put himself in danger. Like he's run out in traffic or something. Never hard, and never for something so minor.

Quoting nicolemead91:

As soon as I read "autistic" ... I didn't read the rest. No need to! You just don't spank a child! Period! It's not right! :(
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM

: )

Quoting tardistraveller:

Spanking a special needs toddler for something so small is just wrong.

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

tardistraveller
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, but it makes it that much more wrong that it's a child who will not understand why they are being hit.

Quoting RobinBright:

: )

Quoting tardistraveller:

Spanking a special needs toddler for something so small is just wrong.

armywifey26
by Krissy on May. 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I would not have spanked him for that. I wouldn't have even yelled at him. I would have made him pick it up and throw it away. 

nicolemead91
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Yea I understand.. I'm sorry mama! I hope things work out better next time something like this happens. A good long talk with ur dh I think is needed..GL :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Believe me I am beyond pissed. I'm not talking to Dh at the moment because I don't trust myself to keep my temper under control.

Quoting nicolemead91:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting nicolemead91:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured