Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you spank for this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
DS is 3, autistic, and getting tired.

He threw a pizza crust on the floor.

Dh spanked him, hard, bare bottom for it. Spent a good two minutes yelling about it and won't let him out of time out.

I think that was WAY too harsh

I would have made DS throw the crust away, and sat him in time out for a few minutes. Had he thrown a fit it would have progressed to him being put in his room until he calmed down. No yelling or hitting, which always makes the situation worse. Getting put in time out or in his room until he is calm is usually effective for DS.

I let DS out of time out and had a few choice words for my husband.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I am all for spanking but i think that was not called for a spanking. It  threw a pizza crust on the floor, not that big of a deal. I would have been arguing with my dh if he would have even tried to spank my kids over something like that. especially bare bottom, YOU NEVER spank bare bottom.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM

He's autistic. What does your husband not understand about that? What a fuckbrain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM
He doesn't understand discipline too well, but after having his dad pull the same crap (you better believe I raised the roof on that one) while he was here I can kinda understand why he wouldn't grasp the fact that spanking is NOT an appropriate discipline for everything.

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

We don't spank...that was really harsh for 3 yrs old. Sounds like your dh doesn't understand autism to much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
We don't spank our 4 year old Autistic son anymore. 1) He doesn't understand why he's being spanked, so it defeats the purpose. 2) He's been hitting lately :/

pharaoh555
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

That certainly didn't merit a spanking, and 2 other punishments as well was way too much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM
When the kids are in bed and I am calmer there will be a come to Jesus discussion in this household.

Quoting nicolemead91:

Yea I understand.. I'm sorry mama! I hope things work out better next time something like this happens. A good long talk with ur dh I think is needed..GL :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Believe me I am beyond pissed. I'm not talking to Dh at the moment because I don't trust myself to keep my temper under control.

Quoting nicolemead91:

Yes I guess I could understand since that's for his safety, but spanking just because he's throwing a tantrum or throwing stuff on the floor..is just not right in my eyes.

If that were my dh, spanking my ds, I would be furious.. Idk just sayinnn. IMO

Quoting Anonymous:

I have swatted his bottom as a knee-jerk reaction if he's put himself in danger. Like he's run out in traffic or something. Never hard, and never for something so minor.

Quoting nicolemead91:

As soon as I read "autistic" ... I didn't read the rest. No need to! You just don't spank a child! Period! It's not right! :(
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM

That's good you said something...

Quoting Anonymous:

He doesn't understand discipline too well, but after having his dad pull the same crap (you better believe I raised the roof on that one) while he was here I can kinda understand why he wouldn't grasp the fact that spanking is NOT an appropriate discipline for everything.

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

We don't spank...that was really harsh for 3 yrs old. Sounds like your dh doesn't understand autism to much.

WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM
That was a little harsh.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 11, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I would not have spanked for that.

ericahager2005
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I agree with you waaay too harsh dh needs a parenting class geared toward parents of kids with autism/aspbergers. Go onto autism speaks and get their free 100 day kit. Its full of info and resources. Ask pediatrician for referall for family counselling. If things are this bad now what about in a few yrs....belt? When he goes to school with bruises or marks dcf is a mandatory call....esp with special needs kids. Dh your behavior is not ok. No matter how stressed or in denial you are. Op it is not ok to leave your 3yo with him. If he goes ballistic over this, what about major meltdowns?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured