Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this legal?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 85 Replies
Ok, today was a AWESOME day, until about 45 minutes ago.
I texted the landlord and told her that yesterday I paid out of pocket for a plumber to come out and fix a leak in the hot water heater because I have been trying to get a hold of her and haven't been able to. I paid $75. I told her the leak got fixed, but now today we have no hot water, it's cold, and asked her if she could send someone out to fix it because I'm scheduled to get induced Tuesday and can't afford to cough up anymore money. I just paid $550 for rent on the 1st & $75 yesterday for a plumber.
Her response was I'm not paying for anything to be fixed. I really don't even care to deal with it being rented to be honest because im almost sure it will be sold in the auction. You can buy it if it does or keep renting it for now or move that's y'all's decision. But I'm not paying for anything else. 550.00 first of the month either way.

Is this legal?
We just moved in April 18th!!!!
We weren't let known of any auction!

And all I have is a printed paper stating we live here and pay $550 a month in rent, with her signature and a date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Read your lease
jadsmummy
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM
You are screwed.
jessimicuh
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I said all I have is a printed piece of paper stating we live here, with her signature and the date we moved in.

Quoting Megan11587:

Read your lease

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
6 moms liked this
Absolutely not legal. It's still her personal responsiblility to care for the property. You can put the rent into an escrow account until she fixes it. Or you can fix it and take it out of rent. I would tell her it's going unto escrow next month until it's fixed. Call your local tenants rights advocate.
opal10161973
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Wait.  You don't have a lease?  Oh, you're being screwed.  Find a new place and fast! 

SJG1013
by SJG on May. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I would save the 550 in a separate account and not pay till she fixes what you. Make sure you document all you can. I wouldn't pay and start searching for a new place. But I don't think you will be getting a security deposit back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I highly dout it ! Screw that pick up and move ...
jessimicuh
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Can she just flat out sale it out from under us? She said the auction is the 23rd!! Were paid on rent til June 1st!

Quoting jadsmummy:

You are screwed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Well if you do not have a lease saying she will pay for damages, you may be screwed :/

Quoting jessimicuh:

I said all I have is a printed piece of paper stating we live here, with her signature and the date we moved in.

Quoting Megan11587:

Read your lease

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Logan_Bellasmom
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this
You moved in to a place with no lease? You are an idiot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured