Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bringing baby to prison

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you bring her to visitation?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

My mom is in prison, and will be for at least another two years. She was a bad mother when I was a kid, mostly due to heavy drug use. Since she was convicted, she has shown a lot of progress getting clean. I visit her without my child once or twice a month, and she tells me about counseling and shows me the slips. While I'm not ready to forgive her, I do see her improving. She's able to remember things now, she's looking healthier, her pop marks are fading. It's been almost eight months since she got high.

I am moving out of state next month. Not as in a bit of a drive away, but from the Midwest to the East Coast. So, obviously, I will not be seeing her until after she's out and off whatever parole she gets, given that she stays clean.

My mother hasn't seen my daughter since she was two weeks old. She is now nearly a year old. Each visit, my mother asks to see her, and I haven't wanted her to. But since we're moving, I feel that perhaps I should bring her with me for the last visit. My mother isn't going to see my daughter again until she's at least three. My daughter isn't going to remember it if I bring her, but I'm still a bit leery. Would you bring her, just the one time? Or wait out the sentence?

(My mother is in prison on assorted drug charges)

Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Yes, it may be the motivation that your mom needs to continue on a straight path

jrmo4
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Honestly? If it were me, I'd have nothing to do with her period.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Bump.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I would bring the baby...

popomill
by on May. 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM

How is the prison? Do you feel comfortable? (or as comfortable as you can in a prison). If it's clean and you feel "safe" then maybe you should and tell her that you will keep in touch with her and if she continues her good progress you'll send her pictures of your daughter, kind of an incentive to stay on the good. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I would take her. We took our kids to see their pap before he was to be executed, it scared my older two but my younger two were fine ( oldest dd thought it was cool, the jail staff gave her little gifts and she played with one of the officers almost the entire time). But realisticly she won't remember it and it may give your mom a bit of a boost to stay clean. Goodluck on your move!!

** by scared I mean they realized its not a great place and somewhere they never want to end up. Their pap made it clear to them that its not a place anyone wants to be, ever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Yes, it'll give her something to look forward to and strive for. Your dd will never remember.
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I would not.

imacafemomer
by on May. 11, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Arr you my sister
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I don't have any sisters, only a brother.

Quoting imacafemomer:

Arr you my sister

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)