Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Propane anyone?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 19 Replies
We just moved. Our propane bill is HUGE. I am wondering what others pay.
We have propane heat, hot water and cook stove.
Anyone have the same? What is your average bill? The propane company says during Summer months the previous bills were around $50 a month. FIFTY DOLLARS FOR HOT WATER AND COOKING?? The January bill (in NH yes it cold here ) was over $500.
by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Toxic.Stardust
by on May. 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

coug7099
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM
At nearly $4 a gallon I couldn't afford it as a drug!!

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

bjdmom
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM
We used to use propane for heat and water. We averaged 900 a month in the winter and we kept the house at 64 degrees.
nyxiemist
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I have no idea about cost on that, but I would be winterizing the hell out of my house! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM
We use (well did use) propane for heat and water. We always prepaid at around $500 a fill. We have an outdoor wood boiler now and only use it for hot water and a back up incase the boiler breaks.

Do you own the tank or is it the propane company's tank?
I also always kinda ask for a bargain. If It's $4 a gallon I'll say "well such and such company has it for $3.50 I'm not paying $4, I guess I'll just go threw them." Usually they say "well we can do $3.30 or whatever".
coug7099
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM
EWWWWWW that scares me!!

Quoting bjdmom:

We used to use propane for heat and water. We averaged 900 a month in the winter and we kept the house at 64 degrees.
coug7099
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM
There is a huge tank with separate meters for each apartment. We have no option to use another company.

Quoting Anonymous:

We use (well did use) propane for heat and water. We always prepaid at around $500 a fill. We have an outdoor wood boiler now and only use it for hot water and a back up incase the boiler breaks.

I also always kinda ask for a bargain. If It's $4 a gallon I'll say "well such and such company has it for $3.50 I'm not paying $4, I guess I'll just go threw them." Usually they say "well we can do $3.30 or whatever".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Look into an edanpure or an off brand one of those.

It keeps our home (about 1,100 sq foot) warm. Of course any room where the door is closed is going to get cool. It raised our electric about $50 but It's better then using $500 a month in propane. LOL. DH hates using propane. Right now or during summer is the time to pick one up because they go on sale. :)

Quoting coug7099:

There is a huge tank with separate meters for each apartment. We have no option to use another company.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnaNonamus
by Spanky Pants :) on May. 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Winterized your home. Caulk all the windows, cover in plastic in the winter, seal outlets, etc. it helps. 

NiCo86
by on May. 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM
500-700 over winter, 300-500 over summer. it is soooooooooo expensive and almost $5 gal here. and I am a utility nazi so the heat and hot water usage was strictly monitored for maximum efficiency. but we also lived in a trailer at the time, not the best insulated for Alaskan winters.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN