Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

custody question! please help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
What would it take for me to get granted full custody? As in the father having NO RIGHTS!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM

You would have to prove he is unfit.

mama2alex2008
by on May. 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM
u proving the father in unfit. What is your situation?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM
You would have to prove that he is unfit. Meaning, gross neglect or abuse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Hes dating someone who is a drug abuser.
He, himself, is a drug abuser. (Possibly going to prison for probation violation)
There's a past domestic violence history between us.
He's NEVER been alone with our son for more than a few hours.
To my knowledge, he has never hit our child forcefully, but emotionally abused him. (I know that's hard to prove.)

Quoting mama2alex2008:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM
This may sound dumb, but what's gross neglect?

Quoting brandydesiree:

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It really depends. I got full legal and physical custody with vistiation at my discrection because my idiot ex got up infront of the judge and said "I don't want the responsibilites of being a parent, I never did and she made me." So the judge said "Fine, then you won't have to deal with the responsibilities."

My ex and I have a good relationship, he sees our son as much as he can. He lives in California and we live in Pennsylvania. Our son spends about 5 weeks in the summer out there. We rotate Thanksgiving and Christmas. But he has to buy the plane tickets at least one month in advance. If the tickets aren't purchased at least one month in advance, the trip is cancelled. I got really sick of his last minute plane ticket bs and having to wake up at 0-dark-thirty to drive three hours to take Kiddo to the airport all because my ex waited until the last minute.

But anyways, back to the point, it all depends on your situation. Most judges won't take custody away from the other parent unless it's completely warranted. My custody hearing was more than 8 years ago, and my ex was a douchenozzle. I'm sure that if we went back to court today, they'd grant him some sort of visitiation.

Coastiesgirl
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
I got full rights to my DD by showing the court my ex wasn't trying to make contact. His criminal history helped my case. He has no visitation unless I approve it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Same situation here, and it wasn't enough. He got every other weekend unsupervised visitation. My lawyer said you can't keep a parent from their child. Unless you could prove sexual abuse, and even then it's hard

Quoting Anonymous:

He, himself, is a drug abuser. (Possibly going to prison for probation violation)

To my knowledge, he has never hit our child forcefully, but emotionally abused him. (I know that's hard to prove.)

Quoting mama2alex2008:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Well the judge ordered supervised visits. He has yet to set one up though.

I just want to erase him completely. And change the mistake I made at birth by giving my son his last name.

Quoting Anonymous:

Same situation here, and it wasn't enough. He got every other weekend unsupervised visitation. My lawyer said you can't keep a parent from their child. Unless you could prove sexual abuse, and even then it's hard

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mama2alex2008:

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Meaning extremely neglectful, leaving them alone for long periods of time, not feeding them, not bathing them, doing hard drugs around them, having them living in unsanitary conditions.

Quoting Anonymous:

This may sound dumb, but what's gross neglect?

Quoting brandydesiree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)