Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Section 8 apps are closed, out of ideas, freaking out!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies

Section 8 applications have been closed/not taking any more because of an overload in two areas we'd like to move to. There's nowhere else. I'm stuck in my apt lease til Sept and I may not have enough money to keep out apt. I'll never earn enough to live in a house. Daycare expenses are higher than my rent and since we got a new landlord he may not be as understanding as the last one. So stressed now. We have a family of 4 and our income combined is $38K a year. S/O used to have a better paying job but got laid off and needed a job quick so he can avoid jail time due to spousal support. It took him 6 months to finally get accepted at a job while I was paying for his support arrears and being pregnant too. I've been trying to switch daycares but a lot have waiting lists and I have no help from family cause they are too old. I'm just afraid sooner or later we'll be living paycheck to paycheck and then my kids will get kicked out of daycare and I'll loose my job and then we'll have to move into a shelter.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

JOB. 

move to a cheaper place. Get better jobs working opposite schedules so there are no daycare costs. Stop having more kids. 

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on May. 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

i'm not sure what your rent or cost of living is, but with enough planning, 38K is doable. Don't panic! Just be thoughtful in your spending, coupons or sales when you can, buy thrift or used if possible and appreciate what  you do have instead of what you are not able to have. good luck!

Beenhereforever
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Can you maybe nanny with your kids?
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Do you qualify for daycare subsidy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 5:06 PM
We live off 40k a year as a family of 4. I don't work.but we own a newer 4 be house and do fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM
If you're broke enough to get section 8 how are you not already living paycheck to paycheck?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

JOB. 

move to a cheaper place. Get better jobs working opposite schedules so there are no daycare costs. Stop having more kids. 

We are done having kids we only have one kid together. I have one from my ex. The only cheaper place is a one bedroom apartment and it can't fit 4 of us less I end my relationship and have just me and our boys.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Time to find better paying jobs!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

If you're broke enough to get section 8 how are you not already living paycheck to paycheck?

The income tax money is running out. Our baby has been on a waiting list for child care assistance for months now and we have to pay full price. We both work 40 hours a week.

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM
38k per year, you almost assuredly wouldn't qualify for section 8 anyway. Try switching schedules and working opposite of your so. Look for better jobs and cut costs as much as you can until then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured