Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Shooting in New Orleans today?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 15 Replies
I'm not anywhere near there but I heard that there was a shooting in New Orleans today and 12 people were shot and killed in a Mother's Day parade?

Anybody know anything? If it's true? I'll try to find links, if it is legitimate.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2154071
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovelyMommy24
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Wow. No, I did not hear anything about that. If that's true that is horribly sad. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Verrine
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

17 Wounded in New Orleans Shooting

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Gunmen opened fire on dozens of people marching in a Mother’s Day second-line parade in New Orleans on Sunday, wounding at least 17 people.

A police spokeswoman, Remi Braden, said that many of the victims had been grazed by bullets and that most of the wounds were not life-threatening. Police Superintendent Ronal W. Serpas told reporters that a 10-year-old girl had been grazed in the shooting but that she was in good condition.

Officers were interspersed with marchers, which is routine for such events. As many as 400 people joined in the procession, which stretched for about three blocks, though only about 200 were in the immediate vicinity of the shooting, which occurred around 2 p.m., Mr. Serpas said.

Police officers saw three suspects running from the scene. No arrests had been made as of late afternoon.

Second-line parades are loose processions in which people dance down the street, often following a brass band. They can be impromptu or planned, and they are sometimes described as moving block parties.

The parade took place in the Seventh Ward, a neighborhood with a mix of low-income and middle-class row houses.

southern.momof2
by Pirate on May. 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Sadly, it's not unusual in new Orleans, especially during a parade or festival. I'm so glad my DH is done with that place.
MomTo2Boys12
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Thank you ladies who posted faster than I could.
mhaney03
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Yes, I live near.  19 wounded last I heard.  2 10 year olds.

MomTo2Boys12
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM
That's so sad... Glad your husband isn't there either. That'd be terrifying to be uses to.

Quoting southern.momof2:

Sadly, it's not unusual in new Orleans, especially during a parade or festival. I'm so glad my DH is done with that place.
MomTo2Boys12
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Oh boy. How horrible :/

Quoting mhaney03:

Yes, I live near.  19 wounded last I heard.  2 10 year olds.

mhaney03
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

https://www.facebook.com/WWLTV?hc_location=stream

local new orleans news channel facebook page for latest updates

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)