Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you get kicked off Section 8 if you get pregnant?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
My SIL (dh sister) is on Sec 8 housing and has one child and found out she is pregnant again. Her and her dh claim they were using protection, but who knows. Anyway, she is scared to death that Sec 8 can kick them off the program since she became pregnant AFTER already being on the program. Anyone know? She doesn't even wanna tell her worker because she's afraid they could lose the assistance.

And before anyone starts bashing, I already know what a stupid error it is on their part, but that isn't what I'm asking about. I'm simply wondering what the rules are. She's actually considering abortion if she has to choose between losing housing and having the baby. Her dh is a full time student and they both work part time and can't afford to lose the assistance.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM
So people can just keep having kids on that program and still get the assistance? Wow..that's crazy. How do you know for certain?

Quoting Anonymous:

No

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Lol they are getting assistance because hey can't support the one they have. Noway woud they et kicked out for saving another they can't support more then likely they will get more support

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

No, and they will gets more PA to encourage them to have more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I know you get even more assistance if it's like WIC or FS, but I wasn't sure about housing because I know absolutely nothing about it. I've always heard it's hard to get on the program to begin with.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol they are getting assistance because hey can't support the one they have. Noway woud they et kicked out for saving another they can't support more then likely they will get more support

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Their son is 6 and she told me if the baby was the opposite gender, they wouldn't be allowed to stay in their 2 bedroom unit so she's worried they won't approve them to get a 3 bedroom or that they will just boot them from the program all together.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, and they will gets more PA to encourage them to have more.

vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM

No idea, I'd guess no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Hopefully

smack05
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM
If u are in Cincinnati oh she can stay on and if baby is a girl they will get to upgrade to a 3 bed room
jojo_star
by Jojo on May. 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Unfortunately, no, there is no cap on children, you can have as many kids that you can't afford as you want, and your assistance just increases with each child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured