Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using your autistic kid to get sh**.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I saw this post on a local yard sale page. 

Looking for a swing set for my Autistic 9 y/o. Ive been asking and looking every where. Cant afford a new one, She loves them and i realy want to find her one. If anyone even has a metel frame with the swing hooks my son said he could build the swings for her.. Plz contact me on pm or comments here. thank u

I think the only reason to mention the child is autistic is to get sympathy and maybe get the swing set cheaper or even free. There is nothing worse than whoring out your child's disabilities/problems/medical conditions/etc...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Replies (111-120):
bumNmoos_mom
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I must correct you. I have a child with autism and she is not in any way giving me a bad name. Everyone who knows me or thinks they know me, knows I do what I need to do for my child. But I CAN see where you are going with that..

Quoting Anonymous:

It does. As a mother of an autistic child. It's people like her that give the rest of us a bad name. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe, but maybe not. What does it matter to you. If you're not selling one it doesn't effect you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Being a mother of a special needs child, I know just how much it will cost a parent to care for their needs. My son is soon to be diagnosed with autism. He is 9 years and his evaluation will run us anywhere from $5000-10,000. And that is just for the evaluation. Not to mention his psych. Appointments every week, therapy, meds, pediatrician, neurologist, cardiologist, gastroenterologist. Oh and I almost forgot the $75,000 for his heart surgery. Plus, he has 2 more surgeries next month.

Oh and insurance doesn't pay for all of it.

So everyone saying, oh I provide for my own kids and pay his bills because I work and blah blah blah. Well guess what your "normal" kid isn't having all these surgeries or appointments.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Parents often  have a lot of medical expenses associated with special needs children. We do. I put myself in their shoes...they want to give their child a swingset, money could be tight because of doctor bills. I would do anything to make my son happy-I don't demand free things, but if someone is giving one away-I don't see any reason why she can't plead her case about being top of the list if several people are interested.

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on May. 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM

i'm sorry  your son will need surgery! prayers and thoughts for him! <3

it is a long and expensive process. We do have insurance, but copays and such add up to several hundred a month. It is hard to budget that in easily with a one-income family. We do our best though.

She's just asking for a swingset. I've seen people ask for ipads for their 'autistic children'. So I think this is tame :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Being a mother of a special needs child, I know just how much it will cost a parent to care for their needs. My son is soon to be diagnosed with autism. He is 9 years and his evaluation will run us anywhere from $5000-10,000. And that is just for the evaluation. Not to mention his psych. Appointments every week, therapy, meds, pediatrician, neurologist, cardiologist, gastroenterologist. Oh and I almost forgot the $75,000 for his heart surgery. Plus, he has 2 more surgeries next month.

So everyone saying, oh I provide for my own kids and pay his bills because I work and blah blah blah. Well guess what your "normal" kid isn't having all these surgeries or appointments.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

Parents often  have a lot of medical expenses associated with special needs children. We do. I put myself in their shoes...they want to give their child a swingset, money could be tight because of doctor bills. I would do anything to make my son happy-I don't demand free things, but if someone is giving one away-I don't see any reason why she can't plead her case about being top of the list if several people are interested.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you, I do appreciate your prayers. God knows he needs it right now.

I will never understand why these women act like this. They are always putting down the parents of sn children but will probably never know what it is like. I usually don't respond to these posts but there have been so many about autism and such, this one just finally got to me. I hope she does get the swing set. And I hope all parents of sn children get the help they need and deserve.

Quoting zomgkerrie:

i'm sorry  your son will need surgery! prayers and thoughts for him! <3

it is a long and expensive process. We do have insurance, but copays and such add up to several hundred a month. It is hard to budget that in easily with a one-income family. We do our best though.

She's just asking for a swingset. I've seen people ask for ipads for their 'autistic children'. So I think this is tame :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting zomgkerrie:

bellaamore
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Yeah, she couldve left that out. Maybe she was looking for sympathy, maybe not. I know for a fact that most autistic children ive had anything to do with love to swing- heck, most kids do in general- and it hellps them to cope and feel comfort. So, maybe it was just mentned for that reason.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Quoting Toonkasmommy:

She could of left that out lol. It's a little tacky.
tennisgal
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM

agreed. why would you even need to mention it. 

USBrit
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I have not read all the posts but WOW! Anyone who would respond to a person with a special needs child in a negative way must just be feeling guilty. Why do you all care what she is asking for? If you don't want to give her something, don't. There are some of us that have special needs kids in our families.....(I have a Grandson) and my daughter is "blessed" every time someone gives her something she could use for him, or just helps her in any way. Her husband is in Afghanistan....so under your theories, she is using her circumstance to garner sympathy. Not true!  So what if that lady goes to Thrift stores and buys clothes and then resells them for more money! Good for her for being so frugal as to figure out that she can do that for her family.

I can't believe that anyone would bash someone who is just trying to find things to help her very hectic life become a little more easier to manage. 

If I had something that someone needed and I no longer needed and it made their life easier.....I would happily donate it to them. If they sold it because they needed the money more....so be it. Remember, she is only asking for things that you no longer need. She is not asking for something that you are using. So, if the posts upset you....really that's on YOU! She is probably doing the best she can

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM
I know a mom just like this, she always mentions she's a "single mom of 4 kids, one who is autistic" to try and get stuff that isn't even a need. She always asks for free stuff or try to get special treatment, then goes "shame on you!" To those who decline or call her out. She has a sense of entitlement like I've never seen!
USBrit
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM

A single mom of 4 has a tough time already, if one of those is special needs, it is almost overwhelming. I don't have a problem with asking.....I don't have to say yes. If she is being abusive to those that decline...that is flat wrong on her part! She is definitely abusing her situation. Maybe she doesn't know any other way to cope with her situation.  I think each situation must be evaluated without comparing to others who would abuse the generosity of others. Like I have said before, my daughter who has 3 children, her 14year old is severly mentally retarded and is difficult to manage and is grateful for any help that comes her way. I would suggest that we look to the heart of the person asking for help.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know a mom just like this, she always mentions she's a "single mom of 4 kids, one who is autistic" to try and get stuff that isn't even a need. She always asks for free stuff or try to get special treatment, then goes "shame on you!" To those who decline or call her out. She has a sense of entitlement like I've never seen!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured