Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"you push your kids" "your kids do too much"

Posted by   + Show Post

These are things that most of us have either heard or said about someone. It seems to be becoming more and more common to hear this on the soccer field or at the dance recital.

But my question is...whats wrong with a child being involved, whats wrong with pushing a child to perform at their best? 

As adults we know it's important to set goals and then work toward attaining those goals. Is that not also important for kids?

I hear these things and know they are meant to be insults...jabs maybe, but are they? Is it such a bad thing to keep a child focused on something they're good at and keep them striving to be the best in what ever that is?

Ok so thats a lot of questions... but where to you fall on this subject?

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Replies (251-253):
christina0607
by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:26 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I posted our schedules, you can see for yourself.....

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 6:28 AM
Awww. I probably would have spoken up. Poor kids, especially the 3 year old.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

There is a difference between encouraging them to do their best and pushing them so hard that they feel like their best is not good enough.

We encourage our kids to be the absolute best they can be but we don't go overboard. There isn't any yelling or belittling like I've seen from other parents. I've actually heard a parent say this to their child after a soccer game (these are 7,8,9 yr olds) "Why did you only score 2 goals? We practiced, you had should have scored more than that!" (Said in a nasty, you are dirt voice) =(

Then there was a dad at my nephews t-ball game, they are all 3 years old, that kept spanking his kid for not hitting the ball, not catching the ball, basically, he was being spanked because he was 3.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on May. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM

A little push is one thing but sometimes parents can take it too far.  For example my kids are in a bowling league.  There was this little girl there who was a great bowler but her father would stand behind her and critique every ball she threw.  He was the same way with her sister and she ended up quitting cause she could not take him in her ear the whole time.  I dont remember seeing them this year, so he may have done the same thing to her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)