Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ethnocentric America?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 13 Replies

It's amazing how this country is so diverse, yet so ignorant to different cultures sometimes. I'm a black hispanic. I was in the grocery store speaking Spanish to my daughter and older lady came up to me and said "oh you speak Spanish? I wish I spoke Spanish. Where did you learn?!" I said, "... My mother..." Then she looked at me all shocked and said "but you're colored! Why are you a negro?!". I wanted to curse her out but I realized she was elderly so she may be a little, confused. I said "maybe I should remind you what year it is ma'am. It's 2013. You're no longer permitted to refer to me as negro or colored. Black will do just fine. And my mother is Dominican. The Dominican Republic was a destination of the African Slave Trade and was colonized by the Spanish. If you go to the Dominican Republic, there are tons of black people and they speak spanish. So, that would explain why I'm black and I speak spanish... Not that I really had to explain or anything..."

I tell you this story to ask: Considering how diverse America is, do you think Americans are ethnocentric: ignorant and/or lack concern for cultures other than their own? Why or why not?

Follow me on Instagram @aaliyahsmom
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Americans for the most part are very ignorant or other cultures, and very ethnocentric. I have no idea why, America is a global country, it is a huge mix of many races and ethnicity's, but for some reason, the majority seems to have no idea about anything, and an overblown idea of America's standing in the world, as well as the idiotic assumption that America is the greatest and best country, and no other country could possibly be so wonderful.

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Yes, definitely. The US is a huge place w/so many different kinds of people. Yet we commonly build subcultures that we rarely venture out of. I would like to think we aren't as blind and closed in as the women you described, but I do think it's easy to forget the world is bigger than the circle you have built around yourself. Especially when you call that circle America (a large successful country). You are using a BIG word to describe your little world....it can get hazy sometimes.

poshkat
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Many people ask me where I learned to speak "jewish", meaning Hebrew and if it's true that everyone rides a camel or donkey to school over "there" meaning Israel. I feel like I want to slap people sometimes.

They also ask me all sorts of different questions about why I'm "here", and a few asked if I was legal. I didn't want to be sarcastic so I said of course! My parents didn't spend thousands of dollars to come here illegaly and yes I am a citizen.
lamorena774
by corporate mom on May. 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Wow. Some people, I'll tell ya... smh.

Quoting poshkat:

Many people ask me where I learned to speak "jewish", meaning Hebrew and if it's true that everyone rides a camel or donkey to school over "there" meaning Israel. I feel like I want to slap people sometimes.

They also ask me all sorts of different questions about why I'm "here", and a few asked if I was legal. I didn't want to be sarcastic so I said of course! My parents didn't spend thousands of dollars to come here illegaly and yes I am a citizen.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I think you guys must live in a small town somewhere.  I've NEVER seen that, I've always lived on the west coast (CA and WA) in big cities, and we are very mindful of other cultures, very involved with other cultures.  I've always had friends of various cultures, races, religions.

poshkat
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Quoting lamorena774:

Yes. Some people are ignorant about many things. They can't comprehend that I am not "from here". I've been told to go home. This is my home. I have been living in America for almost 20 years (this august), longer than I lived in Israel. I am American and this is where I belong.
lamorena774
by corporate mom on May. 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I've actually never lived in a small town. I grew up in Atlantic City and currently live in Baltimore. I have never been approached like I have in my story until I moved to the south. But I've always had people tell me "you're black-- so you cant be hispanic".

Quoting Not_A_Native:

I think you guys must live in a small town somewhere.  I've NEVER seen that, I've always lived on the west coast (CA and WA) in big cities, and we are very mindful of other cultures, very involved with other cultures.  I've always had friends of various cultures, races, religions.

poshkat
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Quoting Not_A_Native:

Not true, for me anyways. I grew up in NYC and I've had a lot more of ignorance than where I live now in the boonies. People here are much nicer and more open with me. Most are fascinated by the fact that I wasn't born here
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Honestly I think Americans are probably the most closed minded people i've seen/met.

I personally would have never questioned you speaking Spanish to your child but I also have a couple of black friends and a couple of white friends who is married to a Hispanic and that is how they speak to their children.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Quoting lamorena774:

I've actually never lived in a small town. I grew up in Atlantic City and currently live in Baltimore. I have never been approached like I have in my story until I moved to the south. But I've always had people tell me "you're black-- so you cant be hispanic".

Quoting Not_A_Native:

That seems insane to me.  I've known many peope who are part black - and part Asian, part hispanic, part middle eastern. We have a kid at the high school, a good friend of my daughters, who is (to look at him) quite black, but his name is very Chinese - because his mother is Chinese.  Or the adopted kid at the school - who speaks fluent Russian like his adopted parents, but is part Chinese, and part hispanic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN