Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Fertile Women To Blame? ETA link

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 48 Replies

I was watching the Carlina White story on Lifetime last night. If you're not familiar with it, basically a 16 year old woman gave birth to a girl in 1987. Not long after she was born (couple weeks maybe), she had to take the baby (Carlina) to the hospital because of a fever. While there, a woman posing as a nurse told the mom to go home and get some rest and that they would call if anything changed. The only reason the mom left is because she needed to shower and she was exhausted. She said she would be gone two hours tops (shower and take a quick nap) and then be back.

The woman posing as the nurse had actually lost 3 babies and decided to take a baby from the maternity ward, but then saw these young kids come in with a baby. When nobody was around (and after she got the mom to leave), she took the baby (Carlina) and left the hospital. She raised that baby like she was her own child.

You can probably look it up online if you want more info, but basically, when Carlina was 23, she suspected she was a missing child and was reunited with her birth parents.

The point of this post is that when Anne (the abductor) was caught and in jail, Joy (Carlina's birth mother) went to see her. Joy had asked her why she did that to her. Anne had basically tried to justify it saying that she lost 3 babies and she NEEDED that baby...that Joy didn't know what she went through because she had 3 healthy children...that Joy should be thanking her because she fed, clothed, taught, and raised Carlina (she called her Nedra though).

The whole time I'm sitting there thinking, "are you fucking serious?" This woman couldn't have children, so she felt justified taking someone's child? THEN, she goes on to blame women who can have children.

Do women with fertility issues think this way? That women who can have children are to blame for their misfortunes? How is that logical?

ETA: Here is the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Carlina_White

by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM
13 moms liked this

no, I think women with mental illness think this way

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on May. 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM
This is not a common thought process among women who are infertile.
lcappytan05
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I didn't know...I had heard some pretty nasty things from some women who couldn't conceive about Mother's Day, so I wasn't sure.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on May. 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Like what?

Quoting lcappytan05:

I didn't know...I had heard some pretty nasty things from some women who couldn't conceive about Mother's Day, so I wasn't sure.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Pink.Sunshine.
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM

What a sad story and that kidnapper hardly got any jail time! There is no excuse for what she did. She was to blame. Her mental issues should've been handled long before she stole that baby.

lcappytan05
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

That Mother's/Father's Day shouldn't be recognized because it's not fair to those who can't conceive or have children in any fashion. That it's just a day for women to boast that they were able to have children...things like that.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

Like what?

Quoting lcappytan05:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

lcappytan05
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Right?!? 12 years for that? It's horrible.

Quoting Pink.Sunshine.:

What a sad story and that kidnapper hardly got any jail time! There is no excuse for what she did. She was to blame. Her mental issues should've been handled long before she stole that baby.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

yes she should've gotten life, this is the sentence Carlina's parents got and their relationship with their daughter will never be the same. I was so sickened by that.

Quoting lcappytan05:

Right?!? 12 years for that? It's horrible.

Quoting Pink.Sunshine.:

PhoenixV
by PhoenixV on May. 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I don't think it's super common, but I think some people believe it. They're crazy though.

melisawoosley
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I watched this movie. It was pretty screwed up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured