Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bartering services? really need help!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

so i found a doula who will barter services for her services. since dh was out of work for a month we need to keep it as cheap as possible. dh is going to strip and paint her cabinets in the kitchen as well as repaint the kitchen and fix a couple small holes in the bathroom. so how much do you think that would be worth in a barter. her doula serives are 550 plus another hundred if i want hypnobirthing classes. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Do you have insurance? What if you need to go to the hospital?
RoxStetz
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM

It's worth whatever you think it's worth.  Is your dh willing to do the work in exchange for the doula services and the classes?  If so, then yes.  It only matters what you two think. Good luck Mama. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have insurance? What if you need to go to the hospital?

yea i had to get medicaid from dh losing his job. if i go to the hospital it will be another hundred for her services

ElitestJen
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I wouldn't think your husband's work is worth more than $200-$300.  It seems like the Doula is giving more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM

well when we were initally talking about the bartering she said something like doing the painting and paying 200 which put the painting in her mind worth 350. i know the holes would be worth about 50. i think the painting would be worth 400 though in my opinion cuz he needs to strip the cabinets and repaint them

Quoting RoxStetz:

It's worth whatever you think it's worth.  Is your dh willing to do the work in exchange for the doula services and the classes?  If so, then yes.  It only matters what you two think. Good luck Mama. 

RoxStetz
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I hope that you can work out a deal with her.  My dh barters landscaping services sometimes for different things. 

Quoting Anonymous:

well when we were initally talking about the bartering she said something like doing the painting and paying 200 which put the painting in her mind worth 350. i know the holes would be worth about 50. i think the painting would be worth 400 though in my opinion cuz he needs to strip the cabinets and repaint them

Quoting RoxStetz:

lovelychaos13
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

well him doing all that should cover it.

our previous midwife would also barter, goods, services, gift certificare ect. she didnt think  a family should stress over the cost of  giving birth,  hence why she doesnt have a set fee and refuses to set a fee. and depsite us also paying money she reminded us to deduct what we paid for the bookshelf we gave her ect from the amount before we wrote the check. we still paid her for her services despite and unexpected  hospital vbac stillbirth. it was after birth we discovered our baby had a birth defect that there was nothing no one could have done to prevent her passing. our midwife and her assistant also  stayed with us through it all in the hospital that was 200 miles away, and they came over checking on us several times a week even after and brought us  books in handling  this type of loss, brought food ect, and also books for our 6 and 7 yr old explaining  losing a baby. her and her assitant were a god send to us.

cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this
LOL.
300 sounds fair.

I have to admit that when you said "strip and paint cabinets" I had a mental picture of a naked man with a paintbrush..
brokenmomma37
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I think you are making a more than fair trade - have you called around to see what doing the cabinets alone would cost?  I have a friend who works construction and remodeling, and does side jobs like that.  Trust me, it is more than $200!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Quoting brokenmomma37:

I think you are making a more than fair trade - have you called around to see what doing the cabinets alone would cost?  I have a friend who works construction and remodeling, and does side jobs like that.  Trust me, it is more than $200!

a more than fair trade for what though? like is it worth the whole doula services or part of it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN