Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

GI Bill is just another form of PA *edit* edit #2*

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 163 Replies
1 mom liked this

So DH is all into a fishing forum, so much so that he was recently made an admin of it.

A few months back DH made a comment about graduating college on his GI Bill on this fishing forum.

Apparently this sparked a heated debate. Turns out some people feel as though GI Bill is just another form of welfare and shameful to admit that you get it.

So my personal opinion .... Its not welfare, our veterans earned it, and should take advantage of it if they are able.

I'm curious as to what you ladies opinions are on the matter?

Edit- It paid out more than he actually paid in monetary wise (yep, soldiers have to "buy" the GI Bill) but he paid for it with his service to this country.

edit #2 THANK YOU ! TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE SERVED OR ARE SERVING!

by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh I don't think so either. I have heard that too though. Dumb.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I've never heard of that before. Isn't it an incentive to continuing your education? It's not like everyone is eligible for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM
3 moms liked this
Lmfao. No. They earn every penny of that through voluntary active military service to the country. It is not given in any manner.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
No they worked for it
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
It's earned, not given.
maddiesmommy5
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I think whoever said that to your dh is an idiot. Our veterans have more than earned it.

metalmomma86
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
People are stupid. You husband served our country and earned it. Anyone who says otherwise, is jealous or really stupid..
rphardwick
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I wasn't all into his stuff when he is in the military so I'm not sure on all the exact details. I know there is/or was 2 kinds of GI Bill. His was the Post 9-11 GI Bill. I know he had to sign up for it and pay in to it some but I don't remember how much and for how long. It paid out $20k for his specific education plus he got paid monthly for living expense. So it paid far more than he paid into it.

Quoting owl0210:

I've never heard of that before. Isn't it an incentive to continuing your education? It's not like everyone is eligible for it.

metalmomma86
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM
That is what it is. Money accumulated to put toward a college education. Earned thru your service in the military.

Quoting owl0210:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
That's silly. My company reimburses tuition for college would that be considered PA too?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)