Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you explain this to a kid

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM
  • 3 Replies
Sd is 8 she has PPD- Nos( it's a form of autism) she lives with us full time and her mom is kind of flakey. She lives about 5 hrs away and only calles sd once a month. She only sees sd over breaks from school.
Sd does cheerleading at the Y. BM was going to come to sds last game but then sds school schedule came and now basically she can only afford to pick sd up for the summer. Which is great but sd is now sooo upset about her mom not being able to attend that she wants to quit cheerleading.
This is a common thing with this kid she will be having fun and then she will realize that her mom is missing that fun so she will just cry or beg to quit.
I told her that her mom wants her to have fun and to enjoy the pictures later. I tried to explain to her that its ok to miss your mom but you cant let her not being here mess up all of your fun. She just doesn't understand. I thought it'd help if bm told her these things because you know in an 8 yr olds mind " i'm just sm what do I know. Dads just dad what does he know I mean really we attend everything so what would we know about how bm really feels."
Dh tries talking to his ex and she just threw a fit saying he was calling her a bad mom. That's not at all what he's saying dh just wants sd just to enjoy life even if none of us are with her. I mean we arnt there at school but sd should still enjoy schoool right?
It's the same thing right? I know its not how sd sees it because she knows she can tell us about the fun at school later and have fun with us later she knows we won't be saying sorry I keep missing all of your events.
Im not saying bm is trying to make sd feel guilty I just want the poor kids to have fun and not let her emotions hold her back.
by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Bump
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on May. 14, 2013 at 7:35 AM
How is your relationship with her mom? Do you think if you talked to her she would be more willing to encourage your SD to continue?
mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM
She always thinks I'm acting like a dr or trying to be sds mom and take over when I talk to her. Its better if I don't talk to her.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

How is your relationship with her mom? Do you think if you talked to her she would be more willing to encourage your SD to continue?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured