Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please help me help my daughter. She is struggling in reading

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

My 7 year old daughter is struggling in reading. The school is doing a RTI on her and she is on tier one. Which I have no idea what this is. How do I help my daughter read? She can read three letter words easily and anything beyond that she struggles. Someone please help me. My son is in special education and I cant deal with another child going down the same road.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Bump

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Make her read for atleast 20 minutes every day.. That has really helped my DS!

momNstinks
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM
2 moms liked this

"Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons." It works wonders. My son is 5 and was reading MY book the other day

ETA:

This was him on 5/11/2013 reading "Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year"....and was asking me questions about it.

We started TYCTR in the summer of 2012. We didn't finish until Dcember 2012 because I was pregnant and whatnot....plus dealing with a newborn. Well, he finished it and is reading EXTREMELY well. I would highly recommend that book. Or go to http://www.funnix.com/ for an online course.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Does she have problems sounding out words? How's her writing? Her spelling? What is your son in special education for? Are either of the parents learning disabled? Things like dyslexia and dyscalculia have a 50% chance of being passed down to children.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Make her read min 20 a day, at her level, ask her questions about the story after each page.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Your daughter is 7 and can only read 3 letter words? What grade is she in? Why hasn't anyone intervened before now?
RMC007
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Tier 1 is on or above level. An RTI process is done to move your dd from Tier 1 to Tier 2. My best advice is to work with the school. Hopefully, if your DD receives intervention now, she will be able to get on-level soon. Ask the teacher if she/he can send home books on your dd's level. Buy books on your dd's level, I like half price books, and read with your dd every single day. Promote reading by having your dd read while you read. Read to your DD every night and ask comprehension questions as you read. Build up a list of sight words, and practice often. Good luck!

UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree. I home school and in 10minutes you can go through one of the lessons.  My daughter , 6y/o,  reads well now and I am starting my just 5y/o with it as well.   

Quoting momNstinks:

" Learn how to read in 100 easy lessons." It works wonders.

Annette(40)Dan(hubby) Rosalynd(7/06)Jeremy(3/08) Isaac(3/10)

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Have her checked by an eye doctor who specializes in problems like tracking.  It could be a visual problem.  My son wasn't struggling in reading but his mentor teacher told me he had tracking issues.  Sure enough I found an eye doctor who specializes in those and he does have them.  His glasses have helped a ton and we are doing therapy at home as well.

Lorik1969
by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM
If you can afford it, I would suggest a private tutor. It's not as expensive as it sounds.My son had problems reading. We found a great tutor and he came up several levels in just a few months. He has comprehension problems, so his tutor has been ongoing but it makes a huge difference.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)