Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It makes me mad...................

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

My 16 month old daughter has +5 far sighted. We just found out a couple weeks ago. She needs glasses that will cost us $200 and our insurance doesn't cover them.

Everywhere I go with DD I get the same comment, "OMG, she is cross eyed, look at her, OMG". It pissed me off enough today to actually say something to the ADULT who pointed out that "wow, you are super cross eyed aren't you?" NO............she is not cross eyed actually, she is far sighted and almost blind!!!!!!!!!!!! He just looked at me and didn't say another word. 

It really gets to me that adults are always the ones that point out that she is cross eyed (one eye drifts, she is not cross eyed) and make their children look at her eyes. What kind of acceptence are they teaching their children? DD can't say anything and most of the time I just ignore comments, but She is near an age where she will start understanding people and I don't want her to have issues with self esteem that she doesn't deserve.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lalaballet
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Ds has a lazy eye, he's five. I'm going to ask the Dr about it because he may be young enough to patch the good eye. He's had comments too. I think they patched my brothers good eye over glasses, maybe they can do that if she has a lazy eye?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2013 at 1:30 AM

We originally thought it was a lazy eye and that she would either wear a patch for a while or have a rubber band put in but that's not the case and surgery won't help her. She is almost blind in one eye because she is so far sighted.

HaleyCovington
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:37 AM
I know how you feel. Ds has pseudo-strabismus. It gives the illusion that he has cross eyes and the only people who point it out are adults. I'm sorry about your daughter. :(
robeandslippers
by on May. 14, 2013 at 2:01 AM

People are so flipping mean!!!!

angie729
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Sad that adults act that way. You check with the Lions Club about help getting her glasses.
onecuteladybug2
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Check out www.zennioptical.com. You can get glasses for much less there.

Teeny4121979
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this
My sons left eye turned in we did the patching we noticed it around 3yrs old he loved being a pirate !!! Talk to your Dr !! We patched his good eye and let him do things hand eye coordination pitching a ball coloring playing with his toy cars !! An hour a day you can break it down though like half an hour in the morning And half hour in the evening

Quoting lalaballet:

Ds has a lazy eye, he's five. I'm going to ask the Dr about it because he may be young enough to patch the good eye. He's had comments too. I think they patched my brothers good eye over glasses, maybe they can do that if she has a lazy eye?

lalaballet
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Aww I'm sorry! People are idiots. I'm sure she is beautiful.

Quoting Anonymous:

We originally thought it was a lazy eye and that she would either wear a patch for a while or have a rubber band put in but that's not the case and surgery won't help her. She is almost blind in one eye because she is so far sighted.

Teeny4121979
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Went to go fix punctuation and stuff but my phone sent it sorry lol!!!

Quoting Teeny4121979:

My sons left eye turned in we did the patching we noticed it around 3yrs old he loved being a pirate !!! Talk to your Dr !! We patched his good eye and let him do things hand eye coordination pitching a ball coloring playing with his toy cars !! An hour a day you can break it down though like half an hour in the morning And half hour in the evening

Quoting lalaballet:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 2:22 AM
My sons eye goes "crossed", we call him cross eyed cutie and all sorts of pet names. I think if you dont make a big deal out of it your kid wont either.
I get SO annoyed that every time I go out with my kids people stop me to say "You sure have your hands full", it bugs the hooey out of me. But it's my problem not theirs, they are just making conversation. It doesn't make them rude just because they mention how many children I have.

People talk, Ive had people ask me if my children were really mine because theyre all blonde. People have asked to take my kids home because they are cute. Ooh or the dude that asked if their dad took off because we have so many.. Lol nope dude he's a real man and loves us all. You just have to let it go in one ear and out the other.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)