Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does your parents dislike/hate your SO?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

How does it affect your relationship with your SO if they do?  Does he know they don't like him? How do holidays work?  How does it affect your relationship with your parents?

I ask because my mom HATES my SO. We had some problem LAST year, I vented ( stupid me) to my mom about them and she can NOT let it go. She only focuses on that. Not that we worked them out, not that he has changed since then, not that we are a happy, healthy couple. She wont give him the time of day. She wont allow him over for holidays, so I go alone. We got into an argument about him on mothers day, and she once again brought up the past, and then said that, "I care more for him than I do her". o.O  We are still a fairly new couple, been together a little over 2 years. He is who I want to spend the rest of my life with tho. The only issue is my mom and how draining she is when it comes to my relationship. She doesn'tsee how it bugs me and in fact pushing me away from her. I want to have the love of my life in my family'slife, I don't want to always choose between them. KWIM?  Not to mention it kinda hurts his feelings.

WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Bump for you. Would like to see also
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I wouldn't go over on holidays alone, I'd stay home with my husband and family. My parents love my husband though.

Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
My family loves him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM
6 years ago I was in a similar position. My mom hated my SO. But I stuck it out. He grew up, my mom saw how happy I was, and she got to know him for who he was. I married him 3 years later, and this month we celebrate 3 years of marriage. Now my mom loves him. If you really love him, try to stick it out. I hope your mom comes around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My "mother" hates my DH. She couldn't muster up any type of respect for him while he was putting a roof over her head and DH's relationship with me is just fine. My "mother" I no longer have any contact with. IMO she was jsut an unwilling incubator for me at this point. There is a lot else that occured but her treating my husband like shit was the last straw for me. The way I see it, I didn't have a choice in who my mom was, but I certainly had a choice in who my spouse was. I chose him, I was stuck with her. 

lilyismyheart
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Never discuss your relationship problem with family. They only remember that and aren't there when you make up. :)
BAMFSFW
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

The first few years she disliked his parenting & was very vocal about it. She'd make comments, criticize him & even write us letters. It did cause a strain & arguments. It even created a wedge between him and our oldest (which is his stepdaughter) because she was hyper sensitive & overly dramatic to anything  involving her compared to our two sons together. In her defense, it took him a few years to become the involved amazing dad he is today, but he was always a good, loving dad. After years of trying to cater to both sides, I finally decided that I needed to put my husband first...it was the best decision I've ever made. I told her that she was never to say another bad word about my husband to me. They were our kids, how we parent is our decision & I wouldn't talk to her anymore if she disrespected him again. Without her constant interference, he really bonded with all the kids, we never got in another argument & everyone is happier. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on May. 14, 2013 at 9:40 AM

They did at first, they've gotten over it :)

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

They like him just fine. Out of all my sisters my mom says  she worries about me the least so that's saying something!

dipsetgrl06
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM
My parents and whole family love my husband so holidays are never an issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN