Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I own guns but that doesn't make my kids the next statistic, does it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies

Do you think there's anything wrong with being a gun owning parent? I mean, I have several and they're locked up safely away from my kids. My kids know they're there and they know that they're dangerous, not toys, and that they should NEVER touch them. They also have their own kid-friendly guns and are being raised how to handle those guns responsibly, as in, they shouldn't ever use a gun without their dad or me around, they shouldn't ever aim it at a person, whether it's loaded or not, they shouldn't ever play with the guns, loaded or not, etc. I don't think there's any danger of my mentally stable, responsible children becoming the next Sandy Hook shooter or even accidentally shooting one another.

What do you think about kids growing up in houses with guns?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

No issue if they are properly secured.

lamorena774
by corporate mom on May. 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM
7 moms liked this

Kid friendly guns? Do you also have kid friendly drugs and alcohol?

Follow me on Instagram @aaliyahsmom
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I never did and my children won't either.  I hate guns and find them unnecessary and no argument will change my mind.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on May. 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

As long as you are a responsible gun owner, no, there is nothing wrong with it. I grew up in a house with guns. My son grew up around guns. Most of my friends had guns in the house. No accidental shootings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Nothing wrong with it as long as you are teaching responsible gun ownership and safety.  We are a household with guns and children also.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on May. 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM
3 moms liked this

There are such things as "kid-friendly guns" despite the fact that anti-gun proponents disagree. As long as the kids are taught to respect the weapons and the weapons are securely stored when not being used, guns are not a problem. 

Quoting lamorena774:

Kid friendly guns? Do you also have kid friendly drugs and alcohol?

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

No there is nothing wrong with kids growing up around guns so long as the owners are responsible.  

Im sort of appauled that you would even ask such a ridiculous question...

tifbrown
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM
My kids are being raised with guns in the home and have already had age appropriate firearms education. We are in Canada and gun laws here are pretty strict. Our guns are all locked up beyond regulation. For them to gain access they would have to be a lot older and even then it would be very difficult. They know that when they reach an appropriate age and maturity they will be taught to shoot. In the mean time they know never to touch a gun and if they ever see one to tell an adult immediately. I'm not worried about it. It is possible to safely own guns.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

nothing wrong just as long as you teach the right way to handle and store guns. my kids have and grew up with guns.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I see no issue. My brother, who is 16, has 2 guns, We have 1 in our house with ds, who is 2. Its put up, and im pretty sure he would not be able to cock it. When hes a bit older and can understand he will be learning gun safety, and im pretty sure when he hits 6 we will have him a BB Gun, And it will have the same rules a Real firearm will have when hes allowed one of those.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN