Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know what poor is?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Poor is not having money to do anything with your friends

Poor is not wanting to go out because your clothes have holes and look terrible but you can't afford anything buy nasty used goodwill clothes

Poor is not having a car and having to take a bus everywhere.

Welcome to my life
Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Replies (81-90):
davnrori
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

You are first world poor. Actual poor is living in a shack built with garbage that you've collected, not just no running water but no clean water source at all, an open dirt hole for a toilet, not just no heat when it's cold or no airconditioning when it's hot but no access to electricity what-so-ever, no foodstamps, food pantries, or Medicaid and the closest Red Cross is 30 miles away and you have to brave guerrillas to get there. Poor is watching your children die from starvation or very common diseases because there is absolutely no way to get them food or medical care.

I'm sure you're stressed and you feel like you are poor. However, you don't know what poor is unless you have seen the slums of India, war torn/drought afflicted Africa, or the drug cartel ruled cities of Mexico, Central, and South America.

Now, go get yourself a drink of clean, running water from your sink and be thankful.

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Poor is living without electricity for months and going to bed hungry
tardistraveller
by on May. 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

that's what I was thinking.  I've been poorMy ds and I lived in a shoebox 1bdrm apt outside of the city, had NO transportation and I had to WALK to the food bank each month.  

Quoting lnrmom:

No.

Poor is not having food on your table or a roof over your head. Poor is not having the money to pay for the bus so you have to walk everywhere.

Get some perspective.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Privileged much? Poor is barely having cash to buy any food. Poor means not buying any new clothes and walking because you can't afford bus fare.
blues_pagan
by on May. 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Poor is also waking up to find that the car has been repoed, your are out of propane for heat, your electricity is about to be shut off, you have some rice, canned veggies and maybe some meat for dinners, and you only have $18 in the acct.  Welcome to me last month.

ssocalgirl6
by on May. 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I have never been poor.
redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I've known poor folks and I grew up humbled by our poverty. I know poor but most don't feel the need to be ungrateful for what they do have.
outtamymynd
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I was poor as fuck when I was a kid. No electricity, no food, clothes that fit too small but you have to wear them anyway. Make it better for yourself and your kids. They will be the ones to suffer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I have to take the bus $4($2 to get where we gotta go $2 to get back home) it's still cheaper than gas
redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I will say poor is relative.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured