Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need help with arizona laws about air conditioners in rentals!!

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 28 Replies

Our AC is out.

I put in an order this morning, and marked it as 'urgent/emergency' 

That was 4 hours ago. The AC went out last night and we are miserable. its 90 in the house. im afraid it will make it to 100 inside the house before the day is out. Sad 

I know the arizona laws say they MUST fix it. and that they must have it done in 72 hours. 

But we really cant wait Sad I cant let my daughter stay here anymore. 

If we go to a hotel that means taking money out of the money set aside for rent for june 1st. 

Are we legally allowed to go to a hotel, and then discount that cost off the rent? 

Or does that only apply if the landlord is non compliant with repairing the AC? (after 72 hours)

by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The law states 72 hours, so anything you rack up before then won't be recoverable. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM
72 hours is 72 hours. Just because you can't wait it doesn't change the law. No, you can't expect the landlord to pay for a hotel.
JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Thats what i was afraid of :( that means another night here in this house if they dont fix it today. or just sucking it up and covering the costs myself :( grr. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The law states 72 hours, so anything you rack up before then won't be recoverable. 

JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Well thanks for the info. And you were so kind about it too. Thank you so much :) 

Quoting Anonymous:

72 hours is 72 hours. Just because you can't wait it doesn't change the law. No, you can't expect the landlord to pay for a hotel.

petie1104
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Open up windows in two sides of the house, if your part of az is anything like mine, there's wind and that might at least help a little.
FrozenReesesCup
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Go in the bathroom and run the cold water. Put a fan in there.

Fill a bucket with ice and put out behind the fan.

Lightly dab your son with the ice cold water and sit in front of the fan.

Close the blinds and wear light clothes.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on May. 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Do you have fans? Wet some wash clothes with cold water, ring them out and put them on the back of your neck. Works amazing, this was our trick cooking in a restaurant with no ac in the kitchen

Close all the shades. Its 88 here in AR, and humid as hell but my ac is off. I've kept everything closed down all day
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on May. 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Don't you have friends you could stay with until it's fixed?

JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Yeah, we do have wind, and the front room windows are open, the bedroom windows cant be open right now though, cause they dont have screens. and you know the bug problem here lol. we have enough gnats, flies, and mosquitos already in the house, i dont want to add to it :P (the AC went out because DD accidentally left the back door open during the heat of the day yesterday, and i didnt know. so while we were out of the house, it ran constantly and burned itself out) 

Quoting petie1104:

Open up windows in two sides of the house, if your part of az is anything like mine, there's wind and that might at least help a little.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Thanks all. we are doing all of this :) DH has lived in az his whole life, and i have been here 10 years. we know lots of tricks. its just miserable is all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN