Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Step kids and buying cars

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: What do you think?

Options:

You are right, your ex has every right to buy a car for y'alls DD

Your DH is right, since not all the kids can have a car, DD shouldn't be allowed to get one from her dad

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 71

View Results

My ex DH wants to buy a car as surprise for our almost 17 year old DD for her birthday next month. She will be a senior next year and has done great in school, all honors classes and straight As since her freshman year. He is very proud of her and so am I. She lives with me and DH so he called to see if it would be ok with me, yes, shock, we actually co parent well. He said he would pay her insurance and all she would have to pay is her gas, which she can easily make enough through her babysitting jobs (she is the neighborhood babysitter). I agreed.

I told DH about it and he thought that it was a bad idea because he felt it's not fair. He also has a teenager who is 16, well he has a 16 year old, a 14 year old and an 11 year old, I have my almost 17  year old a 15 year old, a 12 year old and a 9 year old in addition to the 21 year old me and my ex have together who is grown.  Anyway, DH said that it's not fair for my DD to get a car because we can't afford to buy his son a car and neither can his son's mother.

I told DH that our inability and his mother's inability to help him buy a car shouldn't take away my ex's right to do for our children. Me and my ex bought a car for our oldest child and he wants to do that for the rest of our kids, why shouldn't he be allowed to?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
findingserenity
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
your husband cannot dictate ur dds father on what he wants to give his daughter.your husband can get over it
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Thanks, I can see why DH feels badly because my DD is getting a car and he can't give his son one but that's the way it is. Unfortunatly, we are not in the place right now where we can even help him to buy a car

Quoting findingserenity:

your husband cannot dictate ur dds father on what he wants to give his daughter.your husband can get over it

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM
If dd lives with her dad, then what does it matter what your Dh and his ex can afford for their kids???

It's not like all the kiddos live in the same house
owl0210
by Emerald Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Your husband sounds like a whine ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I said in my post DD lives with me and DH. My kids, except the 21 year old live with us. My step kids live 50% of the time with us, 50% with their mom

Quoting dawnnamarie:

If dd lives with her dad, then what does it matter what your Dh and his ex can afford for their kids???

aiyess
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I agree -

Your DD should not be deprived of a gift from her father because your DH's ex wife can't do the same for his kids. If the shoe was in the other foot, I bet he would say too bad for your DD that his ex-wife can give his son a car. It's not like YOU are giving her a car, it's her father. You are not taking from the family to fund this car. Your ex is paying for the car.

Quoting findingserenity:your husband cannot dictate ur dds father on what he wants to give his daughter.your husband can get over it
nurbabe82
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM

If your ex wants to buy your dd a car then he has the right to do so. Dh can be upset that your dd is getting a car but what good is it going to do? Sometimes this is just the way things go, one parent can afford to do something and another can't, sucks but what can you do. Dh would have to suck it up.

jmart18255
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

sorry but your husband just sounds jealous that the ex can afford to buy your daughter a car and he can't afford one for his kid. besides it sounds like your daughter deserves it imo. 

dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Ok! Wow, I can't read today. I got lost the way you wrote ex dh. It wasn't flowing right.

I do feel its really unfair for your dd to suffer because the step kids can't have a car.
She shouldn't be punished because her dad has a good financial situation.

Quoting Anonymous:

I said in my post DD lives with me and DH. My kids, except the 21 year old live with us. My step kids live 50% of the time with us, 50% with their mom

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Tigress22304
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

sorry dh is wrong. if dad wants to buy the kid a car-he can

when my dh was 16-his parents didn't buy him a car....they bought him a beater. and his father taught him how to fix it up into a great car.

dh said he'll do the same with his kids....buy them a beater and show them how to fix it up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)