Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

School Bribes Kids With iPads & Other Prizes to Get Them to Show Up?!

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 61 Replies
1 mom liked this

School Bribes Kids With iPads & Other Prizes to Get Them to Show Up

by Lindsay Mannering 

kid on ipadA middle school in New Jersey lost $1.3 million in funding because of the district's high absentee rates, so they decided to take action. Using money and gifts donated by local businesses, the school is using iPads, bikes, and other gifts to incentivize kids to come to class. So far, it's working. The principal reports that attendance is up and that the kids are loving the contest, which ends June 11.

Sure, the incentives may be working, but ultimately, aren't they working against our children?

If we give them prizes for things they should do, and are legally obliged to do, we are failing them. If we can't incent our kids to go to school with the simple fact that it makes them better people, will help them get a job, will make them productive members of society, or at the very least, will enable them to go to college where they can roam free for four years and skip all the classes they want, we're not doing our best.

It's also a failed system in that it sets them up for disappointment. In the workforce, you don't get a prize for showing up. You don't get promoted for showing up. Showing up is a given ... shouldn't kids be taught that they won't be handed presents for doing what they're supposed to?

I mean, I'd love an iPad for filing my taxes on time, or a pizza party in my honor for obeying traffic laws. Unfortunately, that's not the way life works.

Comedian Chris Rock says it best when riffing on dead beat dads.

"I take care of my kids."

You're supposed to, you dumb motherf*cker! What kind of ignorant shit is that?

"I ain't never been to jail!"

What do you want, a cookie?! You're not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectation-having motherf*cker!

When our tweens and teens are taught in school, by school that they'll get a cookie just for showing up, it's not helping them. I understand the quick-fix mentality to try and get more kids in the classroom -- it's kind of like when a seventh-grader runs for student body president and promises candy and soda for lunch -- but it's an unrealistic, if not damaging formula that is possibly detrimental in the long run.

What do you think about incentives aimed at getting kids to go to school?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I want to know where they are getting the money for these prizes??

Talliana
by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Waste of time and money trying to bribe kids to do what you want them to do. If by that age they are not motivated to seek out an education for themselves and their own futures nothing is going to make them do it. They may achieve the first bonus check or the first Ipad but why should they be motivated to continue to succeed? is someone going to pay them for the rest of their lives for each milestone they reach and then what happens when they don't get the freebies are they just going to take it from the other kids. 

Crymsm
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Jealous....those things are expensive.
Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I bribe my kids at awana to say verses....I dont see a problem

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM

idk our schools just threaten to fine the parents or stick them in jail. Also they like to encourage people to send their sick kids to school so they spent most of the winter sick. They make you take your kids to the dr even for a simple cold etc... it's freaking crazy. 

I got a nasty letter last year and my dd had only missed 8 days.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I guess what I mean is why are those businesses donating to a better "cause".... like a fundraiser for a child with cancer, not getting kids to go to school.

Quoting lipsis:

"Using money and gifts donated by local businesses, the school is using iPads, bikes, and other gifts to incentivize kids to come to class. "

That's in the beginning of the article. Do you mean you want to know which businesses donated?

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I want to know where they are getting the money for these prizes??

celticdragon77
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM

What happened to fining parents for failing to make sure their child attended school??? 

My husbands job gives out bonuses for attendance. So... 

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson   This mama is the group owner of Education Station and Montessori, has three kids 17, 10.5, 9 yrs old, works, homeschools, and explores life + varied interests. 

Val99
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Sad they need to do that because the parents are so ineffectual at getting their child to excel in school.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I disagree with this approach wholeheartedly...

however, you are given incentives for showing up for work - a paycheck :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

To be fair, by the time I was in high school, my parents could make sure I *got* to school... but they couldn't make me stay there unless they stayed with me, lol.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What happened to fining parents for failing to make sure their child attended school??? 

My husbands job gives out bonuses for attendance. So... 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN