Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I don't know what to make for diner anymore. Were sick of the same things over and over. So I need some low cost meal ideas. What are some of your family favorites?
by on May. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Replies (51-58):
ashley1693
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Thanks. I'll check out that website.

Quoting Acid:

Good for your husband.  Hamburger Helper is not food.  It's a mess of chemicals and crap.

You can, however, make ground beef and noodles at home...and it's better for you.

You can also make homemade Tuna and Noodles...and, again, it's better for you.

Get some chicken breats, slice lengthwise but not all the way through, open the 'pocket' and stuff in anything, ham, cheese, bacon, broccoli, anything...fry a bit, until slightly brown and then bake until no longer pink.  Serve with rice, potatos, couscous, noodles anything...and a veggie.

Salisbury steak

Casseroles

Look up allrecipes.com..it's awesome too.

Quoting ashley1693:

Thank my dh would love that.

I don't mind doing hamburger helper but my dh can't stand it.

Quoting Texascandee:

HB with baked beans.  Brown the HB then add it to baked beans with onions............does your family like Hamburger/Tuna helper?

ashley1693
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Bump
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on May. 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

You are very welcome ... if you have questions ... just pm me.

Quoting ashley1693:

Thank you so much. They sound so good.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Chicken is a super versatile food ... the other night I used one of the new Ragu creamy sauces (Three Cheese Alfredo ... the bacon is awesome). Poured it over frozen boneless, skinless breasts, added a little water to the pan, covered pan with foil and put in oven at 350 and then promptly fell asleep for two hours. *sigh* However! It was sooooo worth it. The chicken came out so tender that it fell apart using a fork. 

I think I am making meatball subs tonight. Simple, buy a bag (or make your own with fresh ground meat) of meatballs, warm up in skillet, add favorite sauce. Use hot dog buns or sub rolls cut open (I scoop them out ... sort of a bun bowl ... instead of slicing them open like buns)... lay a slice or two of ultra thin slice provolone (or cheese of your choice) on the inside of the roll, scoop some saucy meatballs in ... yummy. 

Amber's Chicken Grilled Cheese (NOT a fat free or lo-cal sandwich) ... you will need 2-3 boneless/skinless breasts, tomato (1 slice per sandwich), provolone and cheddar cheese (enough for two slices, one of each, per sandwich), Italian sandwich bread, butter (we like Blue Bonnet Light), Basil  and sliced onion (optional). 

boil two or three boneless, skinless breasts until they fall apart. (A big mistake many make is that do not season well enough when boiling so the chicken tastes ... well icky. Be sure to put your favorite seasonings in ... I use salt, pepper (fresh ground), basil and some liquid smoke.) When they are done, drain, add a little butter and shred with a fork. You can use the extra for lunch the next day. 

While the meat cools a little, slice the tomato if not done already, warm up pan for sandwiches (I use an electric griddle) and butter outside of bread. Lay butter side down, put one piece of cheese on each slice of bread ... provolone on one side, cheddar on the other. Put slice of tomato on provolone, sprinkle with basil (onion would go here as well but on the opposite slice of bread with the other cheese). Take some of the buttery shredded chicken and put on the sandwich, close sandwich and toast until golden. 

OPTION: to make a little healthier (maybe) ... use only one slice of cheese and bread and make as open-faced sandwich. 

Can be as a meal or as a side with a salad or soup. 

Wow! this is long ... but I love coming up with easy, doable cooking ideas. 

mystictigeress
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM

You're quite welcome. You can also cook it on high for 4 to 5 hours if you don't have all day for it to cook.

Quoting tlcory:

I'm not th OP but I'm going to make this now...I was just trying to figure out how I'm going to make my chicken for dinner and saw this...Thank you! 

Quoting mystictigeress:

I fixed something new the other day, and it was a hit. It was Italian chicken. My youngest DD wont eat much meat, so I try to find new ways to fix chicken, since she will eat it as long as it's not fried. Place boneless chicken breasts, about 6, in the bottom of your crockpot. Cut up cream cheese and put on top of the chicken. Top that with cream of chicken soup, italian dressing mix, and add about 1/4 cup of water. Cook all day on low. It was tender and delicious, and was enough to do us 2 nights and still had a little left over after that even. Oh, and I cooked some rotini noodles to put the chicken on when we ate.

ashley1693
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Bump
tlcory
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM

That's what I'm doing! Thanks! :) it smells so good! 

Quoting mystictigeress:

You're quite welcome. You can also cook it on high for 4 to 5 hours if you don't have all day for it to cook.

Quoting tlcory:

I'm not th OP but I'm going to make this now...I was just trying to figure out how I'm going to make my chicken for dinner and saw this...Thank you! 

Quoting mystictigeress:

I fixed something new the other day, and it was a hit. It was Italian chicken. My youngest DD wont eat much meat, so I try to find new ways to fix chicken, since she will eat it as long as it's not fried. Place boneless chicken breasts, about 6, in the bottom of your crockpot. Cut up cream cheese and put on top of the chicken. Top that with cream of chicken soup, italian dressing mix, and add about 1/4 cup of water. Cook all day on low. It was tender and delicious, and was enough to do us 2 nights and still had a little left over after that even. Oh, and I cooked some rotini noodles to put the chicken on when we ate.

ashley1693
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Bump
ashley1693
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)