Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is what I did legal?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
I bought a car in Januaryand when we bought it there were problems and we had to bring in the following business day to have them fix it well they did not fix the problem after numerous times of taking it to the car dealership. the carfax we also found out is fake and the car was totaled and an drug search. the car will not last longer and then probably 6 months so I called the finance company and told them I wanted to surrender the vehicle. they gave me a long lecture about how they can garnish your wagesand get the remaining balance owed on the carI am pretty sure they're just trying to b******* mebut I do know that they can take me to court and that is OK because that is when I will tell the judge about the CARFAXthat is fake and how they knowingly sold me a bad vehicle they know they are caught and that they will not get the remaining $10,000 owed on the vehicle. I know that this can ruin my credit but I am NOT going to pay for a car that does not run.so I have been speaking with the finance company for over a week nowand they're just playing games to get me to keep the car so I told them yesterdaythat this is their last chance to come and get the vehicle I told them where the vehicle was the address to it where was parked in that tue keys wear under the mat.they freaked out because I abandoned vehicle but in reality I was just tired of the games they're playing with meso now the vehicle is sitting in the Ralphs grocery store parking lot waiting for them to come get it and it is now open 24 hours so I feel safe leaving it there its been there all night and they have yet to come get it my question iscan I get in trouble for abandoning a vehicle even though I have told them numerous times to come and get it.

now before anybody tells me that I shouldn't have bought the car you are right I should have had a mechanic check it out first but now is too late if the car did not have any problems I can more than pay for the vehicle I am just not willing to throw away money for something I'm not going to have. and if I wanted to fix it would be way over the value of what the car is worth
Posted by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Talienas
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Why not try to sue the dealer for repairs instead? THAT would be legal....
MOMMYSLOVE13
by ♥♥Brandi♥♥ on May. 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Idk, But good luck with that. 

PhoenixV
by PhoenixV on May. 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I don't know.. but good luck.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

the finance company didn't falsify the report, the car dealership did, so no, you can't withhold payment or they will sue you

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Its really not worth all the trouble. The car has a more problems than a car should ever have.

Quoting Talienas:

Why not try to sue the dealer for repairs instead? THAT would be legal....
firespurity
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Giving you false information about the vehicle was illegal of them, I'm not sure if your within legal rights though.
ff-princess
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM
unfortunately, you're dealing with two separate entities here. while what the dealership / lot did was unlawful, it does not absolve you of your debt to the finance company. they can sue you and win. you would have to sue the agency that sold you the car to recover your losses.
all2gethernow
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM
My brother did that. They sued him for the money, garnished his wages anyway. Screwed him up for years.
petie1104
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Well, you could just drop it at the dealership. But since its in your name, it isn't illegal per say, unless there is a rule at the grocery store about leaving parked vehicles there. At least not that I know of.
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Is the finance company through the dealer ship or is it private?  That makes all the difference.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)