Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Summer number 3 my growing garden. ( very pic heavy)

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 104 Replies
2 moms liked this

When we bought this house in October of 2010 this is what it looked like.

I've never been a gardener so I got my sister to come help. The first spring we bought tons of soil, and mulch. She brought me Hydrangeas, day lilies, and purple cone flowers from her garden to get me started.

We started with soil, and filled in the eroded area near the porch and added stepping stones. Then we mulched around the tree and re-dug the tranches and added mulch around the front porch. Also it was near my birthday so my sisters chipped in and bought me a bird bath.

We planted the day lilies around the existing lilac bush, and the hydrengeanear the front steps.

The next year I bought a small love seat for the front porch and added hanging baskets and lanterns as well as a double teared planter.

photo IMG_20130512_145659_zps02d6115c.jpg
Also I cut 1/3 of the lilac bush down the first year, because it was simply too big and it was unhealthy.

This year, I mulched out the side of the house, where we hadn't planted yet. This year I planted a flowering bush on the side to give me some privacy from my neighbor's driveway, put in a hanging basket on a shepards hook and a few bird feeders.

I also took more off my lilac bush last summer and this summer only have to trim it a little more. 
I also added irises to the front this year, it should double in size by next year.
Behind that I bought a lattice and added a climatis, which has flowers the size of my hand when it blooms. That will also get bigger each year.
This year in order to attact humming birds, I put several flowers on my porch that they love. Black and blue salvia, hybiscus, fuscia, and lantana, along with the million bells in the hanging basket on the shepards hook and the rose of sharon bush that I planted on that side.
I just wanted to share. It's gets more full, and beautiful every year. When I started I knew nothing about gardening and had a black thumb, I could kill anything. I've learned a bit and I learn more each year. I love to sit out on the porch surronded by such pretty things. Next year, I start on the back.

I've given up on the lawn though, I'm calling the sod people next week. lol
Do you like to garden?

photo cff93b12-86de-46b2-be52-d4be4609e9b7_zpsf2ed7349.jpg

by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Country_Momma89
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM

It looks nice!

Kitschy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Thanks! I just love to see how it's changing and growing over time.

Quoting Country_Momma89:

It looks nice!

photo cff93b12-86de-46b2-be52-d4be4609e9b7_zpsf2ed7349.jpg

annasew
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

DO you have a butterfly bush?  You need a butterfly bush.   I gaurantee you will love it.   They can get real big but you can keep them trimmed small.   You also need daisies. LOL  Every flower bed needs daisies lol   I'm just messing with you, butterfly bushes and daisies are my favorites lol   Your yard looks great!   

CMcLaws
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM
I love gardening. I have a 4x4 vegetable garden this year. I'm not much for flowers and such, but my kids love them so maybe soon I will plant some for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Butterfly bush is going in the back yard. I have daisies inside right now. Growing them from seed. ;)

Quoting annasew:

DO you have a butterfly bush?  You need a butterfly bush.   I gaurantee you will love it.   They can get real big but you can keep them trimmed small.   You also need daisies. LOL  Every flower bed needs daisies lol   I'm just messing with you, butterfly bushes and daisies are my favorites lol   Your yard looks great!   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scoleman828
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I'm jealous. We're moving mid summer so didn't see any point into putting the work into our garden if we wouldn't be here to enjoy the fruits of our,labor. And by the time we get settled, it will be too late to plant anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I started veggies this year. They're still inside, we had frost on mother's day. I need to get them outside.

Quoting CMcLaws:

I love gardening. I have a 4x4 vegetable garden this year. I'm not much for flowers and such, but my kids love them so maybe soon I will plant some for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM
You can plant a lot of things in the fall for the next season!

Quoting scoleman828:

I'm jealous. We're moving mid summer so didn't see any point into putting the work into our garden if we wouldn't be here to enjoy the fruits of our,labor. And by the time we get settled, it will be too late to plant anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kage336
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM
It looks lovely! I have a black thumb. That commercial on tv about the woman who says her house is where plants come to die? Yeah. Story of my life.
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Very nicely done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN