Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

last name help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
We finally decided on a name for our son. The problem is we can't decide whose last name he'll have.
Which sounds better?
Eli Stephon Ferguson or Eli Stephon Harp?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabearjkda
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Why not give him the father's last name? Unless there are problems and you two aren't together.

Maevelyn
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM
3 moms liked this

if you aren't married he should get your name, if you have a different last name than you DH he should get a hyphenated name and if you have the same last name you wouldn't have this problem lol. 

amberleh
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I would give him his father's last name. 

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
What does marriage have to do with having the fathers last name?

Quoting Maevelyn:

if you aren't married he should get your name, if you have a different last name than you DH he should get a hyphenated name and if you have the same last name you wouldn't have this problem lol. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gcsadie
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM

If you aren't married, why would you want the father to have more rights? Just in case he tries to keep the baby from you or something... I'm personally glad I gave my dd my last name, even though her dad and I were together when she was born. 

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Quoting Maevelyn:

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Giving a child the fathers last name doesn't mean they have more rights.

Quoting gcsadie:

If you aren't married, why would you want the father to have more rights? Just in case he tries to keep the baby from you or something... I'm personally glad I gave my dd my last name, even though her dad and I were together when she was born. 

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Quoting Maevelyn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
afwifeandmommy3
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Harp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyKBabies
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I like the last name Harp :)

ctfirsttimemom
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Personally, if I had a child before I was married I would give him my last name unless we were in a long term relationship and for whatever reason didn't want to get married.  I want to have the same last name as my kids.

gcsadie
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Maybe I've just heard it all wrong then. Or maybe our states law is different from yours? 

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Giving a child the fathers last name doesn't mean they have more rights.

Quoting gcsadie:

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Quoting Maevelyn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)