Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what age is too young?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 63 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it ok to let your kids be there for the birth of their brother or sister at what age?

Options:

1 yo

2-3 yo

4-5 yo

6-8 yo

9-11 yo

12-14 yo

15 + yo

All of the above is ok for me

It would depend on how I felt at the time

I would never let my kids see that

only a few of the above would be ok for me

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 108

View Results

What age do you concider it to be an OK age to let your child or children see you give birth? Does it depend if you have a son or daughter? Would you let your kids be there for the birth of their brother or sister?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CjEmmemommy
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Any age. My kids were 2 and 4 but I have no issue if they  were 8 and 10. Whatever they were comfortable with,

nelliesmommy
by NoTtOdaY:) on May. 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My first baby was in the room when her brother was born. They are 17 months apart. It didn't scare her or anything, she was just looking like "what's going on."

barneysaid
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Depends how old and how I'm feeling... But wouldn't allow them to see full view. Maybe stand by my head or away from doctor & nurses...
TaughtTot
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan on having my son there if I ever have another baby no matter his age

Its all up to you and how you feel about it

My sister was full front view when I had my son, she was 11 at the time.  It was important for me to let her see because I had never been at a LIVE child birth and our culture is so hush hush about it, but really it's natural, its how we are all here.  Boys and Girls alike need to appreciate the experience, and she did. 

My argument for my son being there at any age is one day he is going to have a wife, one day she will get pregnant, and I want him to be a full supporter of everything that is natural of a woman. 

But I am accused of being a bit feminist so IDK do what you feel is right

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
For me it would depend on my child and their mentality. My son was 2 when my dd was born and, had he not been at his dads that week, I would have allowed him in. But my sd on the other hand, was 5 at the time, I honestly don't think she could have mentally handled it.
Lovinbeinamom5
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Is it different if you have a home birth or hospital birth? I am currently pregnant and my 4 yo is interested in the whole process. I don't want to lie to her but also am not sure if I should let her be there for the birth. I do plan on having her there for some of the laboring process.

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Any age. My kids were 2 and 4 but I have no issue if they  were 8 and 10. Whatever they were comfortable with,

wumbo
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM
If they want to be there and understand whats happening, any age is okay with me.
TattedReader
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM
well since I have to have CSections, I wouldn't want any of kids to witness that
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM
For me it depends. i probaby wouldnt want dd in the room if she was younger than 5
Mommy4000
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I think being in the room at any age is okay, as long as someone is there to take them out if they start getting scared. It can be scary at some ages to see mom in pain or hear her screaming. They don't exactly have to have a front row seat to the action, but being in the room should be okay. I think most parents know what their kids can handle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)