Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should there be a weight limit on gym equipment ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 185 Replies

So today I go to the gym to work out and  the seat is broken on the recumbent bike that I regularly use . Yesterday  as I was leaving a man was riding it  and I could clearly see the seat shaking  and it never shakes  and I use it everyday .  I remember this guy from a few weeks ago  when I was at the scale  and my PT was weighing  me . This guy was to large to be weighed on the scale at the gym  and it goes to 400 lbs . Its a standard doctors office scale .  I checked the website  for the equipment used in the gym and almost everything has a weight limit of 350lbs .  I think the gym should be enforcing  this weight limit  for the safety of everyone involved .  No one should have to use a piece of equipment after a overly large person  has possibly caused damage that cannot be seen.  The gym should be protecting the person who has to use the equipment  next   and not worried about hurting a persons feelings by telling them they are too large to be on the equipment in the first place .     I'm not sure when the seat detached  for the bike  but if someone was riding I'm sure the fell to the ground .  I have never seen metal break this way  but it was remarkable .  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soph324
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Yeah, I agree. I wonder how healthy it is for a person of his size to be exercising anyway, it seems like it would put a lot of stress on joints and whatnot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM
18 moms liked this

I think that's for th gym to worry about and not you. I also think the guy already feels pretty damn self-conscious being in that gym if he's that heavy. You worry about you and let the gym worry about him. I would complain though if I wanted to use the bike and it was broken. If equipment breaks, they need to fix it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM
6 moms liked this
At least he's working out. Stop being judgy. Let the gym take care of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM
4 moms liked this

How would you recommend he become a smaller size then?  Eating healthy is only going to take him so far. 

Quoting soph324:

Yeah, I agree. I wonder how healthy it is for a person of his size to be exercising anyway, it seems like it would put a lot of stress on joints and whatnot.

mamabearjkda
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM
5 moms liked this

So, even when a larger person tries to take care of their weight, in which most people shame them into doing anyways, they are now to be shamed for trying to get healthy? Sad..

WillsMOM72
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM
3 moms liked this
Everyone should be able to use equipment in a gym regardless of size.
hplesha
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM
I don't think it should matter. Maybe make a couple machines that can hold more weight. I wouldn't restrict someone from exercising, how else would they get to use all that equipment without buying it? I actually give that guy props for going out to the gym and using the equipment instead of being humble about his weight.
elkmomma
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The gym needs to worry about lawsuits too.  If the equipment is made with a weight limit they need to enforce it.  Why is there no equipment for over 400lbs.?   What happens if the next person gets hurt (or worse) because the gear / machine integrity has been compromised?    What happens if the limit is 300lbs and the person is 400lbs and the limit is not posted, that person gets hurt using it properly with out knowing specific limit?

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Again. Damned if you are fat damned if you try to lose the weight.

Mind your own and notify the gym of the equipment. They need to fix it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I am worried about me . I may be the unsuspecting person who gets on a machine damaged by a person who was too large to be on the machine in the first place . 

Quoting Anonymous:

I think that's for th gym to worry about and not you. I also think the guy already feels pretty damn self-conscious being in that gym if he's that heavy. You worry about you and let the gym worry about him. I would complain though if I wanted to use the bike and it was broken. If equipment breaks, they need to fix it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)