Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Christians...please explain this to me...

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 178 Replies

by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM
22 moms liked this

Why?  To be ridiculed?  To say "That's the Old Testament," only to be met with "That's what Christians always say...."?  Why even ask just to start the cycle over again?  LOL

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

ssocalgirl6
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Wise words. As usual.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Why?  To be ridiculed?  To say "That's the Old Testament," only to be met with "That's what Christians always say...."?  Why even ask just to start the cycle over again?  LOL

blues_pagan
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
3 moms liked this

No, because I am honestly curious.  There are many who use the Old Testament when it sides with their beliefs but then they cherry pick the not so nice things or when someone who is not Christian quotes OT then they step in and say that the NT is for Christians not the OT.  I am just honestly curious as to why it is ok to cherry pick and decide when the OT can or cannot be used.  I think that this is the biggest problem in these kids of debates, it is a giant fallacy when it comes to Christian views.

Quoting jillbailey26:

blues_pagan
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Bump for possible answers

blues_pagan
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Anybody?
Sasha-
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I got the answer its not difficult but  jillbailey is right.  All you will do is ridicule the person who answers you.  Not going to change your mind, you already have it made up so really whats the point.....

Were you the one who said the bible condones rape?

jillbailey26
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't think it IS okay to cherry-pick.  However the OT, for Christians, is purely historical.  We read the OT because without it, the NT is like starting in the middle of a book.  You have to read the beginning to understand the end.  The NT is what we are to follow and abide by.

Quoting blues_pagan:

No, because I am honestly curious.  There are many who use the Old Testament when it sides with their beliefs but then they cherry pick the not so nice things or when someone who is not Christian quotes OT then they step in and say that the NT is for Christians not the OT.  I am just honestly curious as to why it is ok to cherry pick and decide when the OT can or cannot be used.  I think that this is the biggest problem in these kids of debates, it is a giant fallacy when it comes to Christian views.

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

blues_pagan
by on May. 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM
No. But I am looking for an honest answer. I have wanted an answer to this question even when I was a Christian

Quoting Sasha-:

I got the answer its not difficult but  jillbailey is right.  All you will do is ridicule the person who answers you.  Not going to change your mind, you already have it made up so really whats the point.....

Were you the one who said the bible condones rape?

blues_pagan
by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Then why is it being used today as though it was still "the law". I understand that when Jesus came and died that he tore the veil and Old Testament law basically was kicked to the curb and the New Testament took over. But many Christians use Old Testament more as current doctrine than historical. Why do you think that is?

Quoting jillbailey26:

I don't think it IS okay to cherry-pick.  However the OT, for Christians, is purely historical.  We read the OT because without it, the NT is like starting in the middle of a book.  You have to read the beginning to understand the end.  The NT is what we are to follow and abide by.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting jillbailey26:

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM
That makes sime sense. I still don't get why Christians selectively quote the OT though.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN