Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Day Care Issue*UPDATE*

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 51 Replies

I'm a SAHM, but sometimes I have appointments on post that I cannot bring my son to. When that happens, I put him in day care for a few hours. He's 3.5 and he has not taken a nap since he was 2. I told the CYSS (child, youth, and school age services) this when I started putting him in day care. I told the "teacher" for his room this as well.

The time before last when he was there, his "teacher" mentioned that he wouldn't lay down for a nap. I explained to her, again, that he does not take a nap (some of the other kids don't as well).

The last time I took him, he wouldn't nap either (which I know he wont and have tried over and over again to explain this to this lady). She asked me, when I picked him up, to not bring him during nap time anymore.

I'm fine with that if I'm able to schedule appointments around this, but sometimes I can't...add to that, we only have one vehicle, so I really am in a bind when trying to schedule appointments sometimes.

Can I do anything about this? I mean, does she have the right to ask me not to bring him during that time? Also, I can't have him put in a different room if that matters.

*UPDATE* Thanks for the information (for those that were helpful. For the others that were discounting the information I provided, I watched the tapes during nap time. He wanted to sit in the corner and read or he wanted to sit at the table and color...but I'm dramatic and think my child does no wrong...pfft. Okay then.
ANYWAY, I called and was lucky that someone cancelled. I was able to change my appointment to a later time. He'll only be there for abou 15-30 minutes of nap time. Also, no, I'm not allowed to bring him to my appointments. They don't allow young children there because they can be a distraction.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the point is not that he won't sleep.  Is it that he refuses to even lay down and "rest quietly"?  He kind of does have to follow the rules of the day care.  You can't expect them to rearrange their schedule for him, so he needs to be able to lay quietly as the other kids do.

If he can't, I'd suggest making other arrangements for him.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Licensing rules most likely state they have to offer a "rest time"

lcappytan05
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM

She doesn't make the other kids who wont nap lay down quietly though...so that's where I don't see why my child is being singled out. He also has a speech delay (which she is aware of and that he is in speech therapy) and she always makes comments about it...asks me if he even speaks English....

Quoting ErikaRobin:

I think the point is not that he won't sleep.  Is it that he refuses to even lay down and "rest quietly"?  He kind of does have to follow the rules of the day care.  You can't expect them to rearrange their schedule for him, so he needs to be able to lay quietly as the other kids do.

If he can't, I'd suggest making other arrangements for him.

lcappytan05
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

That's fine, but she's not singling out the other children that aren't napping though....and I don't know if it matters, but the day care is on a military installation.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM

To clarify, did you mean she's asking you not to bring him AT naptime, because maybe it disturbs the little ones who ARE sleeping?

I wonder if getting him settled while naps are being taken is the problem.  Is that what you meant?

wkukid
by Beach Bum on May. 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM

He has to lay down during nap time. He doesn't have to sleep. But he has to lay there quietly.

nina.burnham89
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM

If he isn't disrupting the other kids I don't see why he can't be there during nap time. 

lcappytan05
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

She wouldn't clarify. All she said was that he wouldn't take a nap or lay down (which he wont do if he's not tired)....and that's all she said. I asked if he was disturbing the other children and she wouldn't say.
Also, in regards to your other comment, we just moved here, so I don't know anyone else to make other arrangements for him.

Quoting ErikaRobin:

To clarify, did you mean she's asking you not to bring him AT naptime, because maybe it disturbs the little ones who ARE sleeping?

I wonder if getting him settled while naps are being taken is the problem.  Is that what you meant?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

He needs to be able to lay quietly with the others at nap time.  The issue isn't that he won't sleep but if he is up messing around it probably disturbs everyone elses nap time.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

if it is an on base child care the DoD requires them to be nationally accredited, but they still have to follow state licensing regulations

have you spoken to the director?

Quoting lcappytan05:

That's fine, but she's not singling out the other children that aren't napping though....and I don't know if it matters, but the day care is on a military installation.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)